Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

Bright. Dark. Bright. Dark. Brooke’s eyes fluttered open. The room was calm and there was a bird chirping outside of the window. Brooke rolled onto her stomach in her bed, moaning away the pain in her head. Brooke rubbed her head with her right hand, pulling herself up onto her knees. She looked to her left and saw a tiny bottle of aspirin sitting by her bed. There was a note written on a napkin. It said: Hey Brookie, take two of these and you’ll feel a lot better. – Brandon

Brooke smiled gently, taking the bottle in her hand. Opening the bottle, Brooke grabbed a bottle of water that had been laying in her floor for a few days. She popped the pills in her mouth and drowned them in water. She thought, Thank you Brandon Pent. She rolled over; she threw the bottle of water against the wall, watching it ricochet off the wall and to the floor. Brooke looked across the room at herself in the mirror.

“Oh my gosh!” She said. Brooke jumped off of her bed and ran to her mirror. “How in the world do I have a black eye?” She looked around. She was back in her bedroom. “How did I get home?”

Brooke opened her door and walked down the hall to Paige’s room. She knocked twice before walking in. Paige was sitting on her bed, talking on the phone to Chloe. Chloe was telling Paige all about what Josh had texted her the night before. As Paige looked up to Brooke, she hung up on Chloe and sent her a text saying that she accidentally dropped her phone and would call her back in a few minutes.

“So you’re awake!” Paige says. “We missed the competition. Mom didn’t wake up early enough.”

“WHAT?” Brooke freaked out.

“I’m just kidding!” Paige laughed. “We’re leaving in like five minutes. Go get ready!”

“How did I get a black eye?!” Brooke whisper-screamed at Paige. “The last thing I remember from last night was Brandon handing me a cup of fruit punch and that’s it. Tell me what happened!”

“Well first of all, I had to pretend that you were here. I even made it seem like you took a shower with the bubbles and the towels and everything!” Paige said. “Then you come home half an hour past curfew and you are so drunk you can’t even walk up stairs!”

“Paige, do you know how I got this black eye?” Brooke asked, pointing at her right eye.

Paige leaned back in her bed. “You fell up the stairs and your face land on your hand and then you fell down while walking to your room. I’d be surprised if your knees aren’t bruised. Now go get ready, I’m tired of babysitting you.”

Brooke growled and turned to walk out of the room. She shut the door as she grabbed the towels that Paige had set up over the banister. She walked into the bathroom and started the water. They shower made Brooke feel better. After her shower, Brooke ran into her room dripping wet.

Brooke pulled a pair of dark skinny jeans out of her closet and an oversized, plaid, multi colored, crop top. She put a pair of socks on and slipped her feet into a pair of lace up boots. Brooke dried her hair and finished straightening it right as Kelly called for her and Paige to come downstairs and out to the car.

Brooke grabbed the aspirin bottle and a pack of gum into her purse. She grabbed her dance bag and purse and flipped the lights off. Brooke and Paige got comfy in the back seat. They weren’t traveling that far for the competition. Actually, they were having the competition at the same place that ALDC held their annual dance showcase.

Paige glanced at Brooke as the first song that came on was Katy Perry’s “Last Friday Night.” Brooke gave a smidge of a laugh. Brooke and Paige sang along and Kelly laughed at the fact that they knew every word. Pulling out of the neighborhood, Kelly noticed Brooke’s eye.

“Brooke,” Kelly asked, “What happened to your eye?”

“Oh,” Brooke gave a little laugh again. “Remember how there was a gunshot yesterday?” Kellly nodded. Brooke continued, “Well, I got scared and I jumped down and my knee went straight into my eye. And my knees got bruised from when I fell off of Paige’s bed last night.”

“You fell off of her bed?” Kelly asked.

“Yeah! We were laughing at something. I don’t even remember what. I think it was a picture of Payton, but I rolled over and fell on my knees. It hurt so bad, but I kept laughing.”

“Oh.” Kelly said.

Most of the car ride after that was silent. Paige said a few things and Brooke responded, but Kelly was pretty much silent. Because Brooke had to take a shower, they were running really late. Abby and Melissa blew up all of their phones asking the same questions. Where are you guys? When are you going to be here? Brooke’s category was first. She got dressed in her white dress, that she was using as a costume, in the very back of the car. It was Brooke’s first lyrical solo in a long time, and she was hoping her solo would do good.

Brandon Pent: Good luck! I love you

I love you too. Brooke typed, throwing her phone in her bag and crawling into the back seat so Paige could do her hair while she did her make-up. Brooke dusted blush all over her face but mostly on her cheeks. She wiped on lipstick and a layer of gloss.

“We’re here girls.” Kelly said pulling into the parking lot. “Brooke go straight backstage and don’t stop until you get there. We’ll be inside in a second.”

Brooke jumped out of the back of the car. She ran inside, blaring past Abby and the rest of the girls. She heard her name being called from all of the girls, but she didn’t bother to stop. She reached back stage just in the niche of time. Brooke had just enough to catch her breath. She took one last deep breath in and let it out as the announcer called her name. You’ve danced on this stage a million times before. It’s just like the showcase, Brooke preps herself.

“Judges please welcome to the stage number forty-eight, Brooke with Breathe Me from the Abby Lee Dance Company.” The announcer said back stage.

“Let’s do this.”

****SIDE BAR IMAGE IS BROOKE'S COSTUME AND THE YOUTUBE VIDEO IS THE MUSIC*****