Chapter Forty-Five

Lyra's first day back at Hogwarts after Easter break was already wonderful the moment she sat down for breakfast. She was talking to Lucinda, laughing with her as they both tried to ignore Rabastan's existence. It was actually almost fun that the fact they were both angry with him had only brought the two friends closer. 

He hadn't come to breakfast yet, but they could still discuss all the things he did that either annoyed them or pissed them off. Of course, Lyra didn't tell her what had happened during the break, because she didn't think Lucinda would be able to handle it. She was still quite innocent when it came to these things, at least for a Slytherin pureblood. 

They both turned their head as both Regulus and Rabastan stalked into the hall (both of whom Lucinda had snogged at one point). While Rabastan took a seat between Lyra and Avery, though focusing on talking to the latter as Regulus dropped a letter in front of her. He didn't even say a word as he walked towards other fifth-years, leaving them behind.

Lyra froze, looking quite tense, as she saw the already opened letter, with neat handwriting on it, addressing it to three people. To Rabastan Lestrange, Regulus and Lyra Black, Hogwarts

Lucinda didn't want to comment on the change in her demeanor and instead turned her back on Lyra to start a conversation with a group of girls discussing the best potion to keep their hair from curling overnight. 

Our dear younger siblings (and cousin),
Rabastan, Regulus and Lyra

We are both so very proud of the three of you. We both have the utmost faith in you, but you have outdone all we thought of you. You truly are two great wizards and a wonderful witch. The houses of Black and Lestrange are so grateful for how you have represented us. 

Your information has already proven useful. We cannot say in this letter how this has helped, in case it may be intercepted. But we are all very grateful, and so proud of you. You are on a great path, one that we will help all of you come on. 

Now, for Lyra in particular (that means you should stop reading, boys) from your loving big sister. The fact that you joined in with this mission due to wanting it so badly, not from being given a mere task to complete. I am especially proud of you. You are not only representing our family, but all witches who want the same greatness wizards do. You and I are going to lead us into a golden age for witches, as sisters, side by side. I love you very much and have much pride for you. 

Love, your siblings (and cousin/cousin-in-law)
Bellatrix and Rodolphus

It was awful to know that what she had done was now common knowledge in Death Eater circles. She had even caught some of the people in her house looking at her differently, in some strange mix of fear, respect and house pride. 

Lyra found herself glancing towards the teacher's table, to the one she had so much respect for, but had ultimately betrayed out of fear. Albus Dumbledore looked tense, more tense than she had ever seen him. 

She could have imagined things, but she could have sworn Dumbledore glanced her way as she finished reading the letter, watching her become paler for every word she read. It barely looked like she had any blood in her cheeks. 

He must have had some idea of what it was about, maybe there had already been a fight between the Death Eaters and the Order, and he knew exactly where they got the information. How he always found a way to know everything was beyond her. 

Rabastan leaned over her to grab a roll, but then he saw that she had finished reading the letter, so he grinned widely, thinking she couldn't possibly be mad at him anymore. "You've finished reading it, have you?"