Chapter Thirty

Lyra Black was running as fast as her legs could carry her. She had almost reached the exit of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, her shoes clicking loudly against the floor. She was sure she had woken a portrait or two, but she didn't stick around long enough to find out. 

Because she was a young woman with a mission. She had made a promise to James, Sirius, Remus and Peter that Snape wouldn't get anywhere near them and their supposedly dangerous prank, making sure that nobody would get hurt. 

Unfortunately, she had fallen asleep for a few minutes, which was, of course, the few minutes Snape had used to leave the safety of the common room to follow the four Gryffindors towards the Whomping Willow. 

Thankfully, he hadn't been in a rush. He had been walking leisurely towards the large, terrifying tree. Like nothing could bother him. He looked arrogant, ready to find out the big secrets those four were hiding. 

But Lyra was running like crazy, especially as he was getting dangerously close to the Willow. Lyra thought she was finally nearing him enough for him to hear her. "Snape! Snape, stop right now!"

He quickly stopped, turning around confused. He hadn't expected anyone to be out at this hour, except for his four archenemies that he would like nothing more than to ruin by finding out their secrets. "Black? What are you doing here?"

"Stopping you, of course!" she exclaimed, panting as she finally stopped, standing right in front of him. She had to take a moment to catch her breath, and she could see that he wasn't interested in waiting. 

He started moving, taking a step as he rolled his eyes. As always, he didn't take her very seriously. "Hey, you stop right there, Snape! You need to get back to the castle and you need do to it now!"

"You don't get to tell me what to do," he spat, looking down on her like he always did. He seemed to believe he was so much above her, like she wasn't worthy to breathe same air he did. "I'm finally going to find out what those gits are up to."

Lyra narrowed her eyes, wondering why he was the way he was "Why are you so obsessed with them? Don't you have anything better to do with your life than going around and stalking other teenage boys?"

"Don't you start, Black. You know exactly what's going on, don't you? You've been helping them!" Snape accused her. He raised his hand, pointing a finger at her, only inches away from her face. 

She tried very hard not to get angry. "You don't know what you're talking about, Snape. You think the world's against you, you always have. Can't you get it through your thick head that I'm actually trying to help you now?"

"You've never helped anyone but yourself," the greasy-haired boy hissed at her, glaring like it was personal. "All you care about it those Gryffindor gits. Are you even a Slytherin anymore, Black?"

"Stop trying to make this personal!" she exclaimed. She glanced around, knowing she had to keep him talking for as long as possible. That didn't mean she would accept being slandered in such a way.

"It's always personal," he spat. "Because you've got this silly idea that helping them is a good idea. It's not. And if you don't stop standing in my way, then you will face the consequences for your actions."

Lyra couldn't help but scoff, laughing bitterly at how he again thought himself so mighty, so mighty that he could do anything to her. "And what will you do, Snape? How could you possibly think to hurt me?"

He smirked widely. "I have quite powerful friends, Black. You know this. Friends like Lucius Malfoy who have connections in even higher places where I'm sure you don't want to make enemies."