Chapter Forty-Nine

Summer was already upon Lyra, and she felt nervous as she stood outside the doors of Black Manor. Every other year, she had been picked up by one or both of her parents, but she was of age now and had an apparition license. She could get around on her own, so they thought she was her own responsibility. 

She was hesitant before opening the door to the manor. It was difficult to know how she felt about her family and their associates these days. She had had time to think about things, to build up a bitterness she wasn't sure was justified. Sometimes she forgot why she seemed to want to hate them now. Because they were her family. 

The moment she peeked through the door, she was met with the brilliantly happy faces of her mother, her father and the two older sisters who were still in her life. She couldn't keep from smiling at the sight. 

"Lyra, my love!" Druella exclaimed, barely letting the seventeen-year-old release her trunk before running up and grabbing her, kissing both of her cheeks sweetly. "You look more beautiful every time I see you."

"She's right, darling," said Cygnus, flashing her a tight smile. He wasn't the emotional type, but when they were separated for longer periods of time, this seemed to change as he put his hand on her shoulder. "It's very good to see you, Lyra."

"I very much agree," Bellatrix cackled from the side, walking up to embrace her sister. Once her lips were by her ears, she whispered softly to her. "I am so proud of you, Lyra. And your efforts have been noticed."

Lyra froze at these words, pulling away from the dark-haired girl's grip, noting how her curls had gotten much messier since the last time she had seen her, about a year ago. "What do you mean, Bella?"

A cruel, cold smirk crossed Bellatrix's beautiful features in an ill-fitting way. "Nothing in particular."

"Let her breathe for a moment, Bella," Narcissa scolded from the sidelines, winking at Lyra in secret, watching as the younger of the blondes sighed gratefully. "Perhaps she would like to unpack before you attack her."

"Of course she's not going to unpack herself, Cissy," the eldest of the three sisters rolled her eyes, a mean gleam in her eye. "We have house elves for that. Just because your husband can't afford more than one doesn't mean that the House of Black lost all its wealth."

Druella could feel a fight brewing between the two as Narcissa gaped. She didn't think that would be very appropriate during Lyra's first day back. "I suppose I'll have to talk to the house elves about preparing a great dinner now that our family is together again. It's a cause for celebration!"

"There is much more to celebrate than that," said Cygnus, his chin raised and a proud gleam in his eyes as he looked at the younger girls. "I couldn't be prouder of my three wonderful daughters. A cause of celebration all in their own."

Lyra knew that, officially, they were the three daughters of the House of Black. But she also briefly remembered when they were four. The young woman who had been pushed and tortured out of their home for not agreeing with their beliefs. The same beliefs Lyra didn't believe in.

All those thoughts quickly disappeared once Narcissa reached out and linked her arm with Lyra's, sending her a bright smile. Lyra smiled in return, happy to feel the support of the one sister that had never let her down. 

There was something about reuniting with people you knew like the back of your hand after a long time. Even when one villifies them during your time apart, there will always be the reminder of how much you love them, which was the case for Lyra.

▹▹▹

After the first day, Lyra and her parents had mostly been alone in that great manor, which she didn't mind. It gave her more time to start drafting letters to James, Sirius, Remus and Peter about how their summers were starting out.