Chapter Eight

Lyra was, scarily enough, starting to consider known-half blood Remus Lupin... a friend. She wasn't sure how it happened, but the two had spent quite a bit of time together since the start of fifth year, patrolling together once a week, sitting together in Defence Against the Dark Arts and Potions, although she told everyone their teachers made them, and they tried to keep their conversations quiet so nobody could hear them just being friendly. 

Though, she felt a bit sorry for him. He was always complaining about how dumb his friends were. They were always complaining about never getting anywhere with their Animagus campaign, and they were getting quite impatient and deflated, worried they wouldn't ever be able to do it. 

The only issue was that it wasn't only annoying Remus that they were complaining, it was annoying Lyra to hear Remus complain about them complainign. And Sirius had mentioned it himself once or twice. She just wanted them to become Animagi already so they would shut up.

Which brought her to Transfiguration, where she sat next to Lily Evans from Gryffindor, due to Professor McGonagall's assigned seating. The two barely knew each other, but they respected that they were both prefects, and Lily respected that Lyra had never made a snide comment about her being muggleborn. 

The class ended and the students were dismissed, but Lyra stayed in her seat, contemplating how to ask McGonagall the questions she had to ask without seeming suspicious. The last thing she wanted was to be thrown in Azkaban for conspiring to become an illegal Animagus when all she wanted was to make a gang of Gryffindors shut up.

"Yes, Miss Black?" McGonagall asked as she noticed the young fifth-year sitting in her chair, deep in thought. As always, the professor had a raised eyebrow, looking like she didn't have time for any foolishness.

Lyra jumped in her seat once she realized the professor had spoken to her, being occupied with her own thoughts. "I had a question, but it's not about Vanishing spells."

McGonagall looked mildly curious. "Alright, ask away, Miss Black."

"I know we learned about Animagi during third year, but I heard some rumors that there is going to be a portion on Animagi on the O.W.L.s, and I thought that maybe if I were able to do a detailed explanation on the progress it would really help my marks and help me achieve an Outstanding."

"I believe you are quite capable of achieving an Outstanding on your own without expert knowledge," McGonagall smiled slightly, as if she knew she wasn't asking for educational purposes.

Lyra blushed a bit at the compliment, as McGonagall was never the teacher to compliment her students too much. "I'm a bit scared because I was reading about Inanimatus Conjuration, and I didn't understand it and I usually understand it much quicker, so I was hoping Animagi would help me gain some extra credit."

"Alright, I suspect you've been doing some studying on your own before coming to consult me?" the professor asked, adjusting her small glasses so they were straight on her nose. 

"Yes, I believe I know the basics," Lyra nodded, knowing the boys were just missing one piece of the puzzle. "The spell, how to use it, the potion ingredients. I'm just wondering how to personalize it to the drinker."

McGonagall pursed her lips as she studied her young student. "And this is purely for educational purposes? You're not interested in becoming an Animagus yourself, Miss Black? I think you would be a suitable one."

Lyra laughed to herself, a bit awkwardly. "No, no, I don't think I have the patience."

"Professor Dumbledore tutored me in becoming one during my time at Hogwarts. He saw potential in me I didn't see myself, I believe I can see the same in you." The professor softly smiled.