Chapter Eleven

If there was one thing in the Wizarding World Lyra found utterly unnecessary, it was Quidditch. She didn't understand why everyone cared so much about a stupid sport, it didn't really do anything to help people or do any good in the world. So why people wanted to go to the matches was beyond her. 

The worst thing, though, was when people wanted to force her to go with them. She had much better things to be doing with her time, like actually taking a few hours to relax or study for the O.W.L.s that was less than a year away. 

Standing in one of the towers, tightening her green, Slytherin scarf around her neck in hope of it keeping the cold away, Lyra just wanted to go inside the castle. "Can I go now? I'm here, I've shown support for my house. There's nothing more to do."

"No, you have to stay and support your team the whole match. And if you don't go to the match, then I'm not going to let you attend the after-party," said Lucinda, looking much happier to be there. "And the Quidditch boys are really cute."

"No, they're not!" Lyra disagreed. She thought about the Slytherin team, consisting of people like Regulus, Rabastan, Evan Rosier and Mulciber. Although Rabastan was handsome, she didn't really like to think about the others.

"Just suck it up, Lyra!" Emma scolded, cheering as Madam Hooch, the Qudditch referee and flying teacher walked out on the pitch. Lyra couldn't look at her without remembering how much she failed in her lessons during first year. 

"I don't even like Quidditch," the blonde complained, groaning as Lucinda clutched her arm to keep her from walking away.

"We know!" a gang of Slytherins exclaimed, tired of her complaining. She blushed brightly, realizing just how much she had gone around talking about how much she didn't care about the sport for the last four and 3/4 years. 

Third-year Barty Crouch Jr. wasn't happy with it. "You have to be here for this. It's the first game of the season, and it's against our worst enemies! You can't just not come to a Gryffindor vs. Slytherin game. Slytherin pride!"

"Okay, shut up, Barty," Lyra rolled her eyes. She wasn't in the mood to be lectured by a thirteen-year-old on house pride. She felt more like a Slytherin in her pinky finger than most people did in their whole bodies. 

The boy pouted and decided to focus on the game, which was starting with Madam Hooch releasing the four balls into the air, allowing James to grab one of them and zoom off with his broom, faster than Lyra had ever seen. 

Although, she hadn't been to a Quidditch match in about a year when she was dragged to the first game of the season during her fourth year. She couldn't really believe how they did the things they did. 

It was strange. Lyra had never felt interested in Quidditch before, but as she watched James throw the quaffle between himself and his teammates, dodging bludgers and speeding through the pitch, it seemed cooler than ever before. 

The blonde held her breath as James faced off against Davey Gudgeon, the Slytherin keeper. Davey was known for being a good keeper, but he couldn't face off against the brilliant James Potter.

The Gryffindor-supporting crowd cheered as they scored their first goal of the season, but James didn't stop. He was effortlessly flying circles around the his competitors, created teamwork as he encouraged his teammates and did everything he could to win. 

He was a great flier, Lyra would admit that much. She had never seen a person fly like that in real life, while she once fell off her broom while still on the ground. Perhaps that's why she didn't like Quidditch, because it was something she was bad at. 

Lyra tried to keep her eyes off James Potter as Lucinda gushed about how hot Davey Gudgeon looked on his broom, but it was like her gaze was glued to him. There was something so captivating about how different he looked.