Chapter Fifty-Seven

Lyra was so incredibly thankful for her boys, she couldn't even describe it. For 2-3 years, they had been there for her at every turn, whenever she needed them. And now, she was needing them more than ever.

They had even allowed her to stay in their dorm, crashing with them. At first, Sirius had refused to let James and Lyra share a bed, so he gave her his bed. That meant that Sirius would have to sleep with James.

This didn't work for more than a few days. The beds were small enough already, and both Sirius and James were pretty big boys, while Lyra was small and could fit easier. And James was a blanket hog, making his best friend freeze his ass off.

But the last straw came one Saturday morning when Sirius had woken up as the little spoon. After that, he hadn't protested as much at the idea of his best friend and cousin sharing a bed. They could even spoon if they wanted, as long as he didn't have to join in.

The worst part of her staying there wasn't that drama, though. She wasn't technically allowed to be in the Gryffindor dorms, much less stay in them. So it was a big task for her and the boys to try and hide her from everyone. It wasn't possible.

Several Gryffindors had noticed that she had been there. But the few that dared mentioned it mysteriously ended up hexed, or got a scolding from the Head Girl. Lyra had never appreciated the boys or Lily Evans more. 

The worst part was McGonagall, though. She had come by the Gryffindor dorms and common room more often lately, as if she knew something was going on. But James and Lily had their influence and managed to force people to let Lyra hide in their dorms for a few minutes. 

But as much as she had grown fonder of the House of Lions, she missed the House of Snakes. It had been her home for almost seven years, and now she was thrown out just because they couldn't accept that she was in love.

She could have said something to Slughorn or Dumbledore, so they could force her way back into the dorms. But she had been warned that if she wanted the secret of her relationship to stay within the school walls, she'd have to stay away. She wasn't particularly keen on staying somewhere she wasn't welcome either. 

They didn't go around hexing her or yelling at her, and nobody had jumped James since Mulciber and Avery did. It was like she had never existed, which was somehow even worse. She had tried to speak to her friends, like Lucinda, and to Regulus, but they didn't even glance her way.

Lyra had no interest in being sad. So she decided that unless she was given an opportunity to talk to someone from her house, or she had a sudden, strong urge, she was going to let things go and focus on other, happier things. 

Especially, the fact that November had come, which meant one of the favorite days of the Marauders' year would come. The day that Sirius Orion Black would finally turn eighteen, and be an official adult in both the Wizarding and muggle world. 

James, Lyra, Remus and Peter had all gotten up extraordinarily early for a Thursday morning, all of them having to be very quiet as they got up and got dressed. As usual, the boys turned their backs as Lyra put her clothes on (although James was usually allowed a peek or two). 

The four all exchanged excited smiles as they stood above Sirius's sleeping body, watching as he drooled all over his pillow. Lyra honestly thought it was a bit cute, also because he reminded her of when they were kids and had sleepovers at Twelve Grimmauld Place. 

Peter couldn't contain his giggles, so Remus had to hold his hand over his mouth so he wouldn't wake the birthday boy. Lyra sent them stern glares, and decided to grab Peter and push him onto sitting James's bed so he wouldn't be in the way, although playfully.