Chapter Twelve

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry was known as one of the safest places in the Wizarding World, as long as it was under the leadership of Albus Dumbledore. But the Headmaster couldn't protect his students every second, and all he wanted was for them to be safe before, during and after their years at school. 

And he knew there had been talk of the forces of the Dark Lord, Lord Voldemort, attempting to recruit Hogwarts students and their families, wanting them to be prepared to serve him once they were of age. He wanted to stop this, he didn't want the students to be unnecessary casualties of war because of Voldemort's leadership. 

So every Head of House at Hogwarts had been tasked with talking to their students about the dangers of going too deep into the Dark Arts, and eventually working for the Dark Lord. Professor McGonagall was talking to her Gryffindors, Professor Flitwick with his Ravenclaws, Professor Sprout and her Hufflepuffs. 

Professor Slughorn was then tasked to speak to his Slytherins, who were considered the most at-risk group, as many of them had suspected ties to Death Eaters, and many of their families were known for being pureblood supremacists who would do anything to keep the Wizarding World pure. 

But the Potions teacher was never the type to make enemies with his students, prefering to make connections for his own future gain. Everyone was interested in how he was going to keep those connections while doing the task set by Dumbledore, when he would be insulting the mindsets of most of the kids in Slytherin. 

So all Slytherins had gathered in the common room, squeezing together. A group of kids, ranging from tiny eleven-year-olds to newly-turned eighteen-year-olds huddled in groups, as they all tried to ignore everything their Head of House was saying. 

"Hello, Slytherins!" Slughorn greeted the crowd cheerfully, his chubby face had a lagre smile on it. "I bet you're all wondering why I've summoned you here, but unfortunately it hasn't been for nice reasons."

"We all know why we're here. Because Dumbledore's a half-blood who wants us to stop thinking about the purity of our blood," Evan Rosier whispered to Wilkes, both of them standing close enough for Lyra to hear them. She turned and gave them a sharp look, telling them to shut up. 

"As you all know, there is a war raging beyond the safe walls of Hogwarts," Slughorn mentioned, looking quite sad. "It is not nearing us or threatening your safety. War will never infiltrate the safe walls of our beloved school."

"He never saw the Lucinda and Emma fight over Avery then. Now that was a war," Rabastan whispered to himself, but Lyra couldn't help but snicker. Nobody had forgotten last year when the two girls came to blows over someone as mediocre as Avery. Emma ended up winning, obviously and the two had been inseparable since. 

"And I hope more than anything that none of you will become more involved in this war than absolutely necessary," Slughorn continued, avoiding eye contact, still seemingly uncomfortable. "That's why we need to talk today."

He sighed, finally making eye contact with a few of his oldest students. "I have to warn you of the dangers of the Dark Arts, and the way it can corrupt your soul. I know you are all good, ambitious, cunning and bright children. That's why you are Slytherins, after all."

Fumbling with his robes, he shifted uncomfortably. "The Dark Arts are dangerous, and will in the best case scenario lead to your deaths and desctruction of all that makes you good. In search for what? Glory? You can all have that without it. I know this, because I know each and every one of you personally, I know what you are capable of."

"Some people will try to tell you that you will be greater with it, but that's not true. Nobody truly great are afraid of the legal magic we have, and have to resort to such drastic measures looking for a legacy I know you will all have!"