Top 3 Most Important Writing Tips

I realised I tend to repeat three writing tips in some of my chapters. So, instead of saying it again but under different title's, here my top three most important writing tips which link to a very broad range of topic like writers block and continuing when demotivated; story structure, plot-lines, voice, theme and success; as well as character development and consistency:

1. Reading through and editing your work so far, particularly if you're not writing consistently. It can seem like a laborious task but it really does help you to grasp the mood of your story, the characters from the very beginning and essentially reminding your inspiration to write it in the first place. If you feel disconnected from your story, unmotivated to write it or haven't looked at it in even a couple of days, even reading your last written chapter or paragraph could help you. Adding to this, the ability to edit out small typo, spelling, grammar and punctuation errors, as well as jumpy, chunky sentences for smooth descriptions, will significantly contribute to the success of your work.

2. Reading professionally published and edited books. From books you can learn effective writing features, plot-lines, story structures and endings. Books offer valuable aid to writing. Of course, reading unprofessionally published books like those here on Wattpad can also be valuable and I would encourage it, because engaging with this community lend you rewards, like more attention, for your work. However, just as we pick up effective writing devices in published literature, especially young writers, can pick up possibly incorrect spellings, sentence structures and punctuation uses. In my experience, reading physical books consistently, inspires me to write.

3. Typo's, spelling, punctuation and grammar. The reality is, everyone's on a learning curve, and one or two of these errors per chapter isn't a particularly big deal. However, it is worth swatting up on especially common punctuation and grammar errors, if you're unsure. You don't want preventable errors detracting from the quality of your writing and story overall. I have published chapters on 'Spelling +Grammar', 'Speech: Punctuation + Avoiding Over-use' and 'There, They're and Their'. But correcting these small things means the reader is left distracted.

All I would say, is that if you tend to correct others errors, be polite about it. I personally find it a little unfriendly when people just put a star and the correction. It's probably better to say something positive alongside it.

Thank-you for taking the time to read my guide!