Naming Characters

N5 tips on naming characters and using names:

1. Try searching for fairly unique, interesting names that'll be more memorable to the reader. If an unusual name can create some kind of plot hook and intrigue, it's effective.

2. If you're strugging, keep looking. But, you could always leave naming until you have a grasp of the personality and appearance of a character. That way, their name can compliment their character as a whole.

3. Sources. I used to use an app called Writers Lists, for lists of male and female first and last names. But, the internet is probably the better for finding, especially unique names. E.g. using baby name lists. Also, Yahoo Answers has archived questions about character naming, where the answers are just lists of names. There's even Wattpad books full of names.

4. Make sure you use the name consistently throughout your work. Obviously you'll need to reference it more at the beginning as you introduce your reader to the protagonist.

If using third person, try to alternate between the character name and 'He'/'She' per sentence, with the name being used at the beginning of paragraphs.

If writing in first person (I.e. 'I'- there's chapter on person), getting the character's name mentioned early is harder. But could be done through early conversation or in the story description, for example. If you're chapter's are long enough, the protagonists name should be mentioned naturally.

If you need anymore help around this topic, I've also got a published parts on Character Development and Character Design and Traits.