Describing Surroundings

You need to set a scene. This description comes before the meat of a chapter as a kind or introduction and is crucial in hooking readers in.

With description, always start with the senses. What can the character see, hear, smell, taste and feel (physically). The reader needs to be able to visualise the story setting.

For example, describe the colour of the sea, the taste of saltwater in the air, the smell of vinegar from a nearby fish and chip shop, the way the sand feels and the sound of the rolling waves.

Pathetic fallacy, similar to a semantic field, is when you describe the setting with certain words intentionally implying a certain mood or atmosphere.

For example, you might describe the beach as dormant, the sky as bleak, the sea as grey and the air as thick, to purposefully create a bland, trapped atmosphere.

Rather than describing them with words that contrast, you're describing with ones that all fit together to create atmosphere.

If you're struggling to picture a physical landscape, find an image online. And describe what you see: E.g. a cool-toned image of a beach on google images.

Or describe a place you've been to or that is similar to the scene you're writing.

Single out individual features of a landscape to describe. Start with the senses. What can you see? What can you smell? Taste? Physically feel? Hear? Isolate an area of the scene to describe first. If I'm finding it hard to describe the whole beach I might just focus on the cafe with the dimmed lights and blue logo, or the way the car headlights glint off the wet sand as they pass.

Don't rush it.