Front Cover

Front covers should be simple and utilise a colour pallet.

Thankfully there's now an abundance of apps available to aid you cover designing.

I start sourcing suitable images (it can take time to find the perfect one).

I follow photographers and illustrators on Instagram.

Even adding 'tumblr' or 'photography' after a google images search can offer more aesthetic images.

Choose an image that offers space for a title

It's more professional looking to have a gap or break in the image to put your title.

That's also where having a short title can be more convenient.

In terms of colour schemes I favour black, white and grey.

Because it can be difficult to add a font onto a coloured image and make it stand out.

A black and white image with plenty of room for a title works best for me.

For your title, you can use more than one font.

For example, a solid, boxy font contrasting with a thin more elegant and elongated one, achieves a nice effect.

Eather way, make sure the title is large enough to be clear.

With any text on a cover I'd recommend going minimal.

Especially on Wattpad, the covers obviously appear fairly small so even putting a name/username isn't necessary.

With physical books, an authors name on their work is like advertising.

But on Wattpad, in one click you can go from the story itself to the authors profile, so you could skip out on adding your name/username.

The apps I use are PicsArt and Phonto and I'd recommend both.

You can also import fonts into Phonto from websites, which is an incredibly useful feature. Use a clear, legible font.

The perfect cover will take time, editing and experimenting.

Any apps you'd recommend?