Chapter 11

Previously...

In a fit of panic, you run to Subcon Forest. You look everywhere in the village, but no one is to be seen, including your boss. Armed with a small lantern and axe, you travel into the dark forest. You meet another ghost, Moonjumper, who saved you from Snatcher's sharp grasp. With that, he also gave the poor ghost a soul to help him come to his senses. Feeling slightly confused, you and Snatcher begin to head back to the village...

HOLD UP! I have an announcement to make! My name is Gerald and I am the literal skeleton in your closet. My best worst friend, Moonjumper, decided to have me narrate this story from now on. He says it would be weird to tell from second person, as he is a character in the story.

Sounds like pure laziness to me. Anyway, grab a hold of your wig and turn on Despacito 2 because the chapter begins here!

You know, Snatcher didn't hate her. For a long time, he had been pulling off a demeanor that convinced everyone that he hated everything. But he didn't. For most of his living years, he had been wrapped up in a toxic relationship with a needy lover. But despite her neediness, he didn't hate her. He loved her, in fact.

And now, he misses her. That overwhelming feeling of loneliness is what's driven him down this path of anger. It wasn't just Vanessa who was dependent. Snatcher needed her touch, her voice. And now, he can't have either, all because he is too afraid to look back.

As lovesick as he is, he deep down knows that the woman he loved is never coming back. He know she has been replaced by a monster. Either way, he doesn't know what she'll do to him if he goes back, and he has a forest to rule. Moonjumper would probably take over the throne in a matter of seconds after Snatcher leaves it. We wouldn't want that, would we?

The real kicker about this entire dilemma is the fact that Snatcher never really thought about any of this before you came along. He just kind of knew it. But now? Now he's questioning why he still misses someone who treated him so poorly. Why settle for a complete monster of a relationship when you have someone at your side who is sweet and funny?

Now of course, he didn't see you that way. Nope, just a professional relationship! He's just using you as an example. Like, sure, he did call you sweet and funny, but that's only two of your great qualities! It's not like he called you pretty or cute or smart or...
Oh! And never mind the fact that he's staring at you right now!

Yup. Throughout all this thinking, he's been watching you sleep on a bench outside. Not creepy at all! Snatcher, nonetheless, is shocked. Almost panicked. How could he be thinking like this? Especially towards one of his employees? He's supposed to kill them! This isn't right. There is absolutely no way. 'What the actual-'

And just as Snatcher begins to panic, you wake up. Opening your eyes, you catch sight of your boss, standing up and pulling at his floof in a stressed manor. 'Is he alright?' You ask yourself, sitting up. You'd just finished up your contract, but decided to take a nap before handing it over to Snatcher. It may be your last, after all.

You wonder if this is a good time to bother the poor ghost now. He seems stressed about something, but you can't tell what. He turns around towards the window you were looking through, to see your intent stare. He immediately corrected his posture and sat back down in his chair.

'And now, of course, he's pretending nothing happened.' You think. 'This is bound to be an interesting conversation...'

You stand up and make your way to his warm home, where the baseline of "Another one Bites the Dust" crackled out of the old record player. You tapped you finger to the beat. "Snatcher?" You called, peaking into the room. Snatcher was still sitting on his chair, trying desperately to fix his hair.

"Is this a bad time, boss?" You asked quietly. He looked up at you, shaking his head. "No, it's alright. What do you need?" He asked exhaustedly. You glanced at him before looking back at your shoes. "Well, I've completed my contract..."

Snatcher perked up again. "Ah, yes!" He said happily. He snapped, causing another contracts to appear out of thin air. "There you go, kiddo." He said, handing you a quill. You excepted it gratefully, glad that this wasn't your last day on earth.

Oh. Oh, that was a pun. You chuckled a bit at yourself, skimming through the contract. Of course, you had to chop wood with your axe. Yes, Snatcher let you keep the axe. You named her Kindness. You also needed to locate a missing minion, who you recognized as Watershep, and get rid of more Fire Spirits (again).

You quickly signed the paper and glanced up at Snatcher, who seemed to have been staring at you. He realized the direction of your gaze and quickly turned away, seemingly embarrassed. The contract disappeared in a puff of smoke once you'd finished signing.

"Now shoo! I've got business to attend to." Snatcher told you, waving his hand in a sweeping manner towards the doorway. You lingered for a moment before finally decided to confront him. "Snatcher, and I talk to you for a moment?" You asked. He crossed his arms, looking down at you. "Yes, what is it?"

"Listen, I know it isn't really my place to talk about it, but I know of the trauma you were exposed to during your life." You said, avoiding eye contact. "And I'd just like to let you know that I'm here if you need to talk." You twiddled your thumbs, waiting for an insult or negative response. There was none for awhile.

Finally he spoke. "Sit." He told you. You looked up to find him patting the armrest on his chair. You scrambled to join him, quickly jumping onto said armrest. The ghost seemed amused by your willingness.

You sat there, legs crossed, waiting for further explanation. You both waited in the silence, the only sound being the ticking of a grandfather clock.

"It's hard sometimes." He broke the quiet atmosphere. "Sometimes feelings don't feel normal. Like... anger feeling like sadness almost? It's difficult to explain. I guess emotions are a bitch." Snatcher chuckled a bit before continuing shakily. "Maybe I was too dependent back then..."

"Of course, I could do things on my own! Sword fighting, dancing, practicing law, etcetera. I was just...emotionally unsound. Being being like this is kinda hard, especially when you have no one to lean on anymore. Now... everyone I knew and loved is gone, and it's all my fault." He finished.

You felt terrible. Terrible for yelling at him, calling him an asshole, and low key seeing him as a damn noodle. You thought before he was a heartless demon, god. He's just a scared individual who needs some serious help.

In an awkward attempt to comfort him, you patted his shoulder. Snatcher wasn't expecting your sudden touch, so he flinched a bit. And as luck would have it, you stupidly leaned on your hand just enough for you to lose balance and fall into his damn lap. You fucking idiot.

So here you are, laying across a poltergeist's lap, one arm stuck up in his "hair". Now, this is what I call call an awkward situation!

The silver lining is that his hair is soft. Yay?

You both surprisingly just stayed that way for awhile, neither of you trying to get off the other. The closest thing either of you did was try to get your arm unstuck. You kind of just wiggled your fingers, trying to gently tease out the knots in his floof.

Let's just say, it took awhile. Especially when Snatcher wasn't really making an effort to help you. It almost seemed like he blacked out, as he was entirely unresponsive. When you finally did get your arm out, you decided it's been long enough and tried to literally roll out of the situation.

Before you could actually roll off the edge, he grabbed you and gently set you down on the floor. That was probably a good call, because it was a fairly large drop. 'Heat of the moment.' You concluded.

He looked down at you, seemingly dazed. "Go ahead a finish your contract, (Y/N)." He told you. You nodded apologetically before running off.

Good news! You're not dead. Bad news... Hat Kid was watching from the bench.

hOw NiCe!

Friendship ended with Moonjumper, now Gerald is my new son.
By the way, my update schedule is absolute hell right now.
"uPdAtE oN mOnDaY" I need to actually do that for once.