Chapter 10

(Art is by nettle_bee . Thank you so much!)

Previously...

Since Snatcher's outburst, he hasn't left his home. Worried for their boss, the traveler looks for answers from Hat Kid. Meanwhile, Snatcher is fighting his urges to consume
(Y/N)'s soul. In the end, I couldn't stop him from losing it (not like I really tried). However, he did leave your soul unscathed...

You blindly run across the forest, looking for a certain phantom. Hat Kid desperate tried to stop you, but you somehow managed to leave her ship. You look at this as a win, as you're pretty sure this child beat up a soul eating phantom.

Yeah, definitely a win.

Despite the darkness, you somehow saw Subcon Village in the distance, looking more abandoned then ever. You ran faster, crossing said village quickly before hurling yourself into Snatcher's home. He was nowhere to be seen. You turned around to look back into the forest, but you could barely see past the trees.

You thought about running back into the forest, but decided to prepare a bit before you got yourself killed. If you're going to die, your going to die prepared. Across the room was a small wooden table with an antique oil lamp perched on top. It was one of the many light sources in the small home, so you decided it wouldn't hurt to take it with you.

You run through the village again to retrieve the axe you were using to chop wood before. It was still right where you left it. To most people, this would be normal. But to you, this was a huge red flag that you had missed a long time ago. Usually once you were done, the axe would disappear. Yet here it stands, leaned against a tree. Is his power dwindling? Or is it pure laziness?

Ignoring your curiosity, you grabbed the axe and held up your lantern, ready to navigate the forest floor once again.

Only a halo of light emitted from your lantern, which wasn't as helpful as you had first hoped. It's better than nothing, you figured. You continued on your journey, and it wasn't long until you had come across him.

You saw his silhouette snaking through the trees, almost like he was stalking you. Actually, he was stalking you.

There is a fine line between brave and stupid and at this moment, you were stupid. You held up your axe. "Show yourself!" You commanded. Big mistake.

You were suddenly thrown against a tree. You luckily kept a good grip on the axe, but dropped the lantern. All you could see were two glowing eyes, inches away from your own. You heard a growl and a crackling sound, like bones breaking. Trust me, no one really wants to know what it was. You struggled against Snatcher's grip, but it was no use.

The last thing you wanted to do was swing your axe at him, but you brought it for a reason. It is your last resort. You held up your arm and took a swing.

He let go almost immediately, as it is probable that you gave him a nasty gash. The poltergeist screamed in pain, drifting away from you. You stumbled towards your lamp, quickly holding it towards the ghost.

Snatcher had totally lost it. The fluff around his neck was matted and he had grown a larger and sharper pair of fangs from his bottom jaw. His eyes now had small pinpricks for pupils, which darted around a bit before settling on your shaking frame.

Snarling, he readied himself to charge at you. You held up your axe hesitantly. "I don't want to hurt you..." You told Snatcher, but it fell to deaf ears. The phantom charged suddenly, catching you off guard. You squeezed your eyes shut (which, in my opinion, was a stupid decision), waiting for him to land the blow.

But it never came.

You slowly opened your eyes. To your surprise, glowing red cords had wrapped themselves around the phantom's neck and arms, keeping him just a few inches away from your face. He was writhing against the strings, trying to break them. Break my strings? In this form? Blasphemy. He may look bigger and scarier, but this form only makes him weaker.

With a simple clap of my hands, he is pulled against a nearby tree trunk. He is still struggling against my bonds. "It's no use." I tell him. He doesn't even hear me. In the distance you were staring in awe at me. My blue skin, my fancy suit, my strings.

Oh! But this isn't a story about me. It's a story about you. Maybe you should tell it from now on? Or maybe a friend of mine... perhaps. Let's just focus on the task at hand, shall we?

I hold up a soul, a small blue wisp in the darkness. Snatcher immediately stops moving and begins to stare at it in pure and utter hunger. "You've given me a lot of trouble today, Snatcher." I tell him. "You have a perfectly good soul in your possession, yet you refuse to eat it. Now I have no choice but to give you one of my own."

I grab his chin and wedge the soul in between his teeth. He chews the poor soul ferociously, growling in satisfaction. Slowly but surely, his fangs disappear and all that remains in his eyes is a tired expression.

"Thank you, Moonjumper! Very happy to see you, Moonjumper!" I mock, playfully turning my back on him. He sighs.
"Is the kid okay?" I look back at him. "Oh? Yes, mostly. In fact, they seem to have done a number on your arm." I told him, pointing at his arm. Snatcher looked down at his gash, seeming almost pleasantly surprised.

"Seems they've grown thicker skin!" He says. I nodded. "Ah, yes, but not thick enough! You've given them quite a few injuries." The soul thief shrugged.

"Where is (Y/N) anyway?" He asked. I pointed behind me, where you were huddled on the ground, axe in hand. Once he realized what I meant, he lurched agains my strings, immediately breaking them. He slithered up to your quivering form, apologetically patting your shoulder.

"Can I keep the axe?" You ask as you both walk off.

What a nice way to end this chapter! Will this story end in tragedy? Love? Minichimmichanga's death? Bonds autocorrecting to Boob? Stay tuned to find out!

h u h

o k a y
I'm just picturing minichimmichanga being ripped from a cliff by steve.

"Long live the king!"
"No- AHHHHHHHHHHHHH-"