Chapter 7

Previously...

The traveler returns from their search for nonexistent ice to find their boss being "attacked" by a small, hatted child. With a bit of convincing, they somehow get her to leave Snatcher alone. After the child leaves, the traveler signs another contract, knowing they won't get their soul back anytime soon...

You held the axe tightly in your bandaged hands, swinging it down forcefully. You had been chopping wood for the past hour, and you were just about done with this task, although your hands and shoulders hurt like hell.

You stiffly bend over to grab another log and put it on the tattered stump, where it continued to meet its doom. Just as you were about to grab another one, you felt someone tug on your shirt.

Sighing, you turned towards them. "I told you before, Dinnerbone, I'm busy right-" you began before realizing the being in your presence was not Dinnerbone. It was Hat Kid. You were slightly confused as to why they had returned so soon. You raised an eyebrow. "Your quite persistent, aren't ya?" You laughed a bit before chopping up another log.

Hat Kid shrugged, indifferent to the situation. "If Snatcher wanted to kill me, he would've done it by now." She replied. I laughed again at this. Such a young child, yet she knows his weaknesses. "Is he afraid of you?" You asked playfully. The idea that such a dangerous entity may be scared of a little girl still humored you a bit.

"Yup!" She replied cheerfully. "I beat him up real good when he tried to kill me the first time." She said. I paused suddenly. 'What the actual heck?' You thought. "Would you tell me...why he wanted to kill you?" You asked cautiously.

Hat Kid crossed her arms before replying "He tried to steal my Time Pieces!" You stopped breathing for a second, realization setting in. When you had met Hat Kid, you hadn't really thought about where she may have come from. A neighboring town? Another entity just living somewhere in the forest? But now you think you know.

"Time Pieces? Like that fuel used to power those huge expensive ships?" You asked, hopeful. Hat Kids grin widened, also realizing your connection. "Yeah! Do you travel around, too?" She asked.

You were happy to say the least. You didn't know if it would be possible to connect with anyone outside the planet again, but now hope has found its way into your heart. "Yes! I'm from Runerth. What about you?" You asked excitedly. "Xutranov!" Hat Kid said. "Wait. If you're a space explorer, where's your ship?"

You cringed at the though of her. Bee was your pride and joy, and now she's gone. "I crash landed here." You told Hat Kid.

Her eyes widened. "Oh! So that's why you have bandages everywhere!" Hat Kid concluded. "One thing that TV has taught me is that when someone has bandages on their neck, something bad has happened."
You were slightly taken aback by her statement, but shrugged. She wasn't wrong.

You quickly finish off your job, wanting to talk more with Hat Kid. "How did you get your hands on such an expensive ship?" You asked, knowing only the largest ships use Time Pieces. "I have my ways~" Hat Kid said slyly. That response didn't answer your question, but you didn't inquire further. Than it hit you.

"Do...you have food in your ship?" You asked quietly. Hat Kid gave you a questioning look as if you had just grown another head. "Yeah? Why wouldn't I?" You quickly grasped her hands. "Please bring some down I haven't eaten a proper meal in days!" You blurted.
Hat Kid looked a bit...overwhelmed? You couldn't read the expression on her face. Its probably fear.

She broke eye contact with you. "Okaaaay then..." Hat Kid mumbled. She took your wrist before taking something from her pocket. "Is that...?" I asked. She nodded. The Time Piece glowed with foreign energy. Hat Kid seemed to focus her energy on it as it erupted with blue light. You covered your eyes at the sudden brightness. And then, you were in a very large, colorful room.

"Welcome to my humble abode!" Hat Kid stated grandly. You looked about eagerly wanting to find a kitchen before anything else. "This abode of yours isn't so humble." You said. Hat Kid shrugged. "Whatever." She said. "The kitchen is up there, by the way."

You sprinted towards it, ready to consume Hat Kid's entire fridge.

You didn't know this at the time, but you're not the only one who has been hungry. Snatcher had also been facing a shortage on souls. Usually, he would just eat the first soul he can find. You seem to be very, very lucky that you're not dead yet.

He hasn't had a soul in about a week, which is just pushing him over the edge. He knows that withdrawal symptoms will begin plague him in just a few days. My, he might even eat another dweller in the process!

If it comes to that, however, I may have to restrain him again. Deplete more of my rations. If he doesn't eat soon, what would this kingdom of ours do? Anyway, I guess I can play with my toy once more. My puppet.

How would you like that, 'Jamie'?

PLOT PLOT PLOT PLOT PLOT PLOT PLOT PLOT PLOT PLOT PLOT PLOT PLOT PLOT PLOT PLOT PLOT PLOT PLOT EVERYBODY