Chapter 4

Previously...

Injured and afraid, the soulless traveler makes their way to a small ghostly town, where they find helpful supplies from a rather creepy figure. Now they must finish up their first contract with the (unnecessary) aid of their boss's quick paced transportation...

You collapse on the bench, absolutely drained. Despite saying he would give you a "lift", Snatcher had grabbed ahold of your arm and darted off into the forest, just enough off the ground so that you still had to run behind him. You had tripped over your own feet multiple times, causing you to reopen some of your wounds. It was a shitty experience, to say the least.

After you had reached your destination, he pointed to a group of translucent fox creatures, who were dancing around a fire. "I want you to murder these spirits." He told you. You were slightly surprised by his straightforward approach to the situation. "...why?" You asked, unnerved.

"That is a very good question, My dear!" He began. He then had gone into a monologue about how they were making barriers around his forest and asking you to kill them in the most painful way possible. Without further explanation, Snatcher laughed maniacally and disappeared again, leaving you alone in the middle of nowhere.

With a bit of observation and elbow grease, you managed to kill off these (possibly suicidal)spirits. In the end, however, you ended up having to walk back on you own. You felt absolutely exhausted. Hoping to get a bit of rest, you closed your eyes.

Unfortunately, your boss had different plans. Just as you were about to slip away, Snatcher appeared in front of the old wooden bench. "WHHHYYYYYYY HELLO THERE! You didn't forget about, did you?! Don't tell me you forgot about me!"

You groaned in response to his loud greeting, not even bothering to open your eyes. The phantom suddenly seemed to radiate a subtle annoyed aura. "I don't like it when you give me the silent treatment, kid!" He told you. He sounded annoyed and almost hurt, but his voice still held a playful undertone. Lucky for you, you still haven't crossed the line.

In response to his statement, you opened one eye and crossed your arms. "What do you want now?" You grumbled. Snatcher looked at you, putting his claws on his hips. "Why, I just wanted to check up on my favorite contractor, of course!" He replied slyly. "How've you been holding up?"

You narrowed your eyes at him. "Surprisingly well, especially after you flew me like a kite across the forest!" You retorted.

Your boss furrowed his brows at you. "Oh come on! I only did that so you could get your job done quicker." The phantom said, turning his head away from you in a childlike manor.
You stood up out of the bench, fists clenched. "Well because of you, now I am more injured than I was before!" You told him angrily.

The Snatcher looked at you, seeming frustrated. "Alright, kid. I'll be perfectly honest." He began. "I like you. You are a feisty little one, with a punch to pack. You're charming, especially in that little getup you have there." He began to back you up against the bench. "You're a fun little pet to have around. I wouldn't kill you if I absolutely didn't have to."

You fell back into the bench, his ghostly face inches from yours. "But if you talk back to me one more time, I will not hesitate to 'let you go'." You wanted to scream at him. Hit him. Do something terrible. There are too many things bottled up that you want to say. But you must remain calm.

Your tough expression fell and you placed your hands neatly on your lap. Taking a deep breath, you looked back up at him and said calmly, "You 'like me'? I bet you don't even know my name, you purple noodle."

The Snatcher was taken aback by your fearless response. Did you have no wish to live? Did you just not take him seriously? He was confused and a little upset. He didn't want to have to kill you this early!

In the heat of the moment, the soul thief decided not to kill you quite yet. Instead, he threw another (half baked) insult back at you. "Oh yeah? Well I can tell you for a fact that even if I did know, I wouldn't really care anyway!"

These insults were tossed back and forth for what felt like hours. It had gotten to the point where you both had just about run out of things to say. In fact, the ghost had repeated himself a few times already.

You laughed to yourself in victory as Snatcher went silent, not knowing what to say. He too, sat on the bench next to you. He stares at you, confused as to how he had used up all the insults he had been collecting over the years. You notice his staring and tilt you head, partially confused. "You ok there, bud?" You asked him casually.

The ghost looked at you, even more confused by your smile. Your face seemed to shine with an almost energetic aura, reminding Snatcher of someone he had lost long ago. She still was lost, wandering around that bitter cold house. That woman wasn't the same anymore, and never will be. Yet despite this, he felt content.

"Yeah (Y/N). I'm fine."

h e c k

Hey I'm backkk
Have fun with the spooky because now he knows that you're a black belt in comebacks I guess

And yes, I am aware that none of these insults are good. I didn't feel like coming up with good ones. Suffer.