Chapter Twenty-Three: When Blue Eyes Met Green

"I love you." Michael repeated, voice softer than when he first murmured the three words. "I have loved you since that day in the field at the back of Ms. Mead's house when I made it snow just for you. The way your smile shone brighter than the sun and how your laughter became music to my ears... I realized I couldn't live a day without hearing its melodic sound. 

Michael brushed his nose against my cheek before placing a soft kiss on it. "You are just as kind and beautiful then as you are now, Estella."

His sapphire eyes wavered over my face and analyzed my expression. I opened my mouth to speak, my mind still clouded by surprise.

"You don't have to say it back. It's okay if you don't feel the same way right now, I understand." A deep breath was taken in his lungs. "I made a big step confessing my real feelings towards you, but I couldn't help myself any longer. You are the most precious thing on Earth to me."

"Michael, I'm sorry if I can't say... if I don't feel that way towards you right now." I frowned. My heart drummed within my chest in nervous beats while butterflies fluttered in my stomach at his  confession.

"Don't be. You giving me the chance to love you is all I ever wanted. What else do I need to wish for?" His pink lips curved in a beautiful smile. I mirrored his expression and took his hand in my own, giving it a gentle squeeze.

"Thank you for understanding." I whispered and I wound my arms around his waist, burying my face into his warm chest. "Thank you for saving me today, too."

"You had your own little hero moment back there too." He chuckled and withdrew from our hug to gaze down at me with admiration. "You tried to jump in front of me when Nick pointed the gun at me. No one ever tried sacrificing their own life for me before."

"I wouldn't have known what to do if a bullet had hit you." Dread pooled at the base of my stomach from just thinking about the prospect of Michael getting hurt.

"You were very brave, but I don't want you to do that ever again." My brows furrowed at his request and Michael shook his head. "I can hear your stubborn thoughts already, Estella. I'm serious. Don't ever put yourself in danger for me again."

"That isn't fair. How come you can do it, but I can't?" I crossed my arms over my chest. "I care about you, Michael."

"My life isn't even worth half of yours, at least, not in my eyes." When he noticed me press my lips in a firm line, a tell-tale sign that I didn't agree with his statement, Michael sighed. "Please, Estella, promise you won't put your life at risk for me."

I can't promise that.

Michael parted his lips to speak, but was cut off by the sound of my phone ringing. Never tearing my eyes away from him, I walked to where my bag was and answered the call.

"Hello?"

"Estella! The police notified me about what happened. Are you okay?!" Lillian cried out and I had to distance myself from the device, my eardrums tingling from her loud voice. 

"I'm fine, Lillian. I just got home. All I want to do is sleep." I said tiredly. My eyes glanced down to the dried blood encrusting my blouse. 

"Oh, sweetie, I'm so sorry this happened to you. I'm sure you did everything you could to help Nick." My best friend's soft tone floated from the speaker. "I'm really happy you're okay, though. Do you want to take tomorrow off?"

Seconds passed before I let out a breath. "No, I don't want to make my other patients miss a session. Besides, it'll help me keep my mind off what happened."

After Lillian gave up in convincing me to take the next day off, we said our goodbyes and ended the call. Slowly, I walked to my bedroom, only taking a moment to turn back to look at Michael.