Chapter Eighteen: To Hell and Back

"Estella..." A finger brushed over my cheekbones gently. "Wake up, please."

My subconscious rose from the heavy slumber that it was put under. Slowly, my hands began to twitch and my eyelids fluttered open. The light from my bedside table graced my vision and I sighed tiredly, slowly sitting up on my bed. Soft hands cupped my elbows in an effort to help me sit. I tore my gaze away from the lamp and looked into a beautiful pair of sparkling blue eyes.

"Michael?" His name rolled off my tongue in a tone filled with relief. He smiled at me, his touch moving down to my hands.

"Don't worry, you're safe now. No one is going to hurt you." He assured me, sensing my worry. "I thought it would be best if you woke up here in your apartment and not the academy ."

I smiled at him in gratitude, happy that I didn't have to wake up to the violent scene back at Michael's former school.

"Where was I? All I remember from being down there was that I was being tortured by these women... One of them looked like the Supreme, but her eyes were different." I explained. "Then, I had to fight these monsters as if it were a test or something."

"What else happened?" Michael asked quietly.

"I was talking to someone, but I couldn't see his face. He made comments about my powers and he was the one who had those monsters attacking me." My stare was solely on Michael as I spoke. "Michael, what happened down there?"

"You were in Hell, specifically Ariel's personal Hell. Each person who is sent down there has their own version of Hell, where they will stay till the end of time unless they deserve a worse punishment." He explained slowly, taking care in choosing his words. "Those monsters that attacked you were demons, spawns of the devil."

"And the person I was talking to? Who was he?" Michael gazed down at me and his silence was all the information I needed. "No! It couldn't be! What would the devil want with me?!"

"You're filled with light, Estella. It shines from you just like how the darkness emanates from me." He said and stood up from his spot on my bed. Goosebumps formed on my skin as his warmth disappeared from my side. "He was curious, wondered why someone like you ended up down there."

"You sound like you know him personally." Michael bristled slightly at my words before recovering himself, sending me a reassuring smile.

"He and I had a few words when I was looking for you down there. No big deal."

"And he let us go? Just like that? You didn't make a deal or anything with him for our freedom?" The questions popped out of my mouth as I looked at Michael in disbelief.

Shaking his head, Michael removed the red gloves on his hands and twisted them within his grasp. "Due to all the terrible crimes I did in my past, he and I aren't exactly strangers. We know each other and it didn't take much convincing for him to let us go."

"Will he go after me, since he was curious about why I was there?" Fear dripped into my bloodstream at the thought of someone so dark, so evil, taking interest in my existence.

"No, he won't be going near you anymore. I made sure of it." Michael said. Remorse blanketed his facial features suddenly and he let out a sigh. I noticed that he didn't dare try to look at me and I crawled to the other side of the bed.

My hand clasped his, tugging his arm slightly. "Hey, what is it?"

"What you saw back there in the academy.... All those people I killed... That's a side of me I didn't want you to ever see." He confessed, a shudder running down his body. "I shouldn't have let my emotions get the best of me, I should've been more careful and made sure you didn't have to witness that."