Chapter Fourteen: Code Blue

Wake up.

Wake up.

Wake up.

A woman's gentle voice echoed in my mind, startling me. My body jolted from the ground in surprise as my eyes winded in shock. Pieces of grass were stuck to my cheek and littered my clothing. I gazed around the cemetery, only to find it empty. The sun shone high up in the sky, beaming down at me intensely. 

I must've fallen asleep.

My phone was whipped out from my pocket and I confirmed my assumptions when I checked the time, noting that it had been three hours since I had arrived at my parents' gravestones. I tried to recall the last few moments of consciousness, only to remember walking to my parents' graves and speaking to them.

Last night must've really tired me out. I haven't fallen asleep here in years. 

Dusting the last few bits of grass from my pants, I sat up, legs crossed beneath me.  Silence draped my surroundings as I stared at the marble slabs and I sighed heavily, a wave of sadness crashing through my body all of a sudden.

"Dad, I know you would be so worried right now if you saw me falling asleep out here. You'd probably say I might get kidnapped or something." A dry chuckle fell from my mouth. "But, I can't help it sometimes. Being here... Talking to you guys... It makes me feel closer to you."

Overhead, two birds flew by and chirped cheerily at each other. Their voices were the only sounds in the cemetery. 

"I love you both, and I miss you, more than you'll ever know." My bottom lip trembled as I stood up, knees shaking. I took a couple steps back. "I promise I'll be back this week, especially tomorrow. It's been ten years, can you believe it? It feels like yesterday."

Suddenly, my vision was clouded with black spots and I let out a gasp, grabbing at the side of my head. A scene began to unfold in front of me, sounds swirling around me like a tornado. Objects and people began to form behind my eyelids and I felt my heart race as the memory hit me like a truck.

"Are you Estella Wintour?" A police officer asked as soon as I stepped into the emergency room. 

Though the house was thirty minutes away, I managed to make it to the hospital in fifteen minutes. I had driven like a madwoman as soon as I had gotten the call, notifying me where my parents were. 

"I am. Where are they?! Are they okay? What happened?" I frantically asked, hands shaking, as I glanced around the room. All around me, nurses and doctors sped past, yelling out orders and words that had no meaning to me. I desperately tried to find Mom's kind smile and Dad's bright eyes amongst the chaos.

"Miss Wintour, there's been an accident." The officer said.

"Yes, I know that! I got the call! Now, where are they?!" I yelled, trying to push past him. Eyes scanned the beds lined up against the wall. My heart fell when I didn't see their familiar faces.

"A drunk driver hit your parents' car while they were driving on Galligan road." The officer explained and I felt my breath get caught in my throat at the information.

"Wait.. That's the road that winds up the mountain. Dad always said if you go too fast on it, you could skid, crash through the railing lining the road, and plunge right into the water." My blood ran cold when I remembered that the mountain was surrounded by the ocean on one side. "If-If you hit the water, there's no way you'd survive...."

"Code blue! Code blue! Code blue!" An alarm sounded down the hall and I sprinted to where it was. Eyes stared through the trauma room window, hands pressed against the glass.