Chapter Twenty-Eight: Burgers and Fries

Change is easier said than done. No matter the circumstance, even when a person vows to change who they are, there will be moments where they relapse to their old selves.

The question at that point is: will they continue to surrender themselves to who they used to be... or will they continue to fight for that changed version of themselves?

David Hale? Well, that bastard is stuck right in the middle. 

"For the millionth time, David, will you QUIT IT?!" I cried out in frustration, rubbing my eyes to clear my vision of the raven haired man standing in my office. "I have five patients to see today, go and bother someone else!"

"I can't. There's no one else to talk to and I'm dying of boredom." David dramatically coughed, clutching his neck as if he were choking, before collapsing onto a nearby armchair. "Estella, please. Come and save me from my looming demise."

Shaking my head, I shuffled the papers on my desk before crossing out some tasks that I had previously written on my planner. 

Ever since David and I officially became friends a few months ago, right after that one horrific night where we almost ended up sleeping with each other, David had always promised me that he would try his best to not get on my nerves. No flirty comments, no nasty remarks about patients, and no barging into my office when he had barely anything to do for the day.

Obviously, he was failing with the third vow.

Despite me making numerous threats on severing our friendship, David continued to fling my office doors open without notice when he knew I was alone. His long legs would carry him to my desk or a chair or the window. He would then spend a good hour babbling about any topic that comes to his mind in an effort to entertain his supposedly bored brain.

"David, go outside and touch some grass or something. I don't know why you insist on bothering me whenever you got nothing else to do. Why don't you go talk to Lillian?"

"Because she's our boss and could fire me."

"Hmm, maybe it's about time I ask for a promotion so I have firing abilities as well." I hummed to myself, glaring at David from a stack of folders.

"Oh c'mon! Can't you have an early break or something? Let's grab brunch or something!"

"It's eight-thirty in the morning."

"Fine, breakfast then!"

"No."

"Yes!"

"No, you dimwit!"

"Yes, you wet blanket!"

"Am I interrupting something?" A voice peeped up from the doorway just as I raised a handful of pens in the air, ready to launch it at David's head. My eyes darted to the man with the sea-blue eyes, soaking in his appearance. 

David and I answered at the same moment.

"No, Michael, you're not." I smiled warmly.

"Yes, you are. Isn't your appointment not for another ten minutes? Shouldn't you be in the waiting room?" David narrowed his gaze at the blonde, who held a passive look on his face. Neither of them shrank from the other's intimidating glare and I suddenly felt the room's temperature drop a few degrees from their unfriendly interaction.

"The receptionist said I can come in early, since Estella would be ready for me." Michael tilted his head innocently before sauntering towards my couch. He gracefully sat down and rested his head on his hand. "Shouldn't you be working instead of annoying your coworker?"