Chapter Twenty-Two: Blood On Her Hands

"Put the gun down!" Michael roared,  slamming his hand on top of a wooden desk. The sound made me jump and caused Nick to press the gun even deeper into my skin.

"Michael, stay calm." I said shakily. My knees trembled with fear and felt as if they were about to collapse onto the floor. Behind me, the sun had already begun to sink behind the clouds, casting a golden hue across the room.

"Look at you! You'd do anything for her, wouldn't you?" Nick cackled at the thought, his laughter rumbling through his chest like an earthquake. "Pathetic! I was once in your place and look where that got me!"

"Shut up, you don't know anything about me!" The blue in Michael's eyes swirled into a familiar storm.

"Your feelings for her will be your downfall! She will leave you with nothing, they all will! Women do nothing but hurt the ones that care for them!" My brows furrowed at Nick's words and I felt my mouth press down into a firm line.

Women? He got his heart broken by one girl and he's seriously going to start hating on the entire female population.

Remembering that Nick's mind didn't function normally, I casted the thought aside and focused on the scene in front of me.

"Nick, let me go, please. We can talk about this." I gulped nervously. "I-I'm sorry that things didn't go as planned with Angie and I reminded you of her. But I promise I am nothing like her."

Nick's heaving breaths slowed as he listened to me speak.

"I truly do care about your well being and will not treat you the way she did. Deep down, you know that." Michael watched me carefully, not knowing what to do. "You know me."

"That's the thing, Estella. I thought I knew Angie, but I had no idea about the monster living inside of her." Nick hissed, his voice dripping with poison. "She told me I had stolen her heart. Little did I know she didn't have one to steal in the first place."

A gasp was lodged in my throat when I heard the gun click and I met Michael's frantic stare.

"No!" Michael screamed and raised his hand up. Behind me, Nick made a strangled cry as invisible hands wrapped around his neck, squeezing every ounce of air out of him.

"Michael, don't kill him! He doesn't know what he's doing!" I exclaimed, panicked. My head turned to get a better view of Nick's face. It was beginning to turn a sickening shade of purple. "This isn't the way to fix things. He needs help and it is my responsibility to give it to him."

"He wants to kill you!" A look of disbelief clouded Michael's features as he stood in front of me with his hand out. "You're crazy if you think I'm going to let this fucker live."

"Nick doesn't understand what's going on. It's his illness that's making him behave this way." Shaking my head, I desperately tried to talk some sense into Michael. "Please, don't do this."

"Fuck!" The curse was breathed past Michael's lips in a frustrated tone. He ran a hand through his golden locks before squeezing his eyes closed.

I watched as books from a nearby shelf flew from their spots and slammed against the bed's headboard. Before I could react, another object had zipped through the air. Realization dawned upon me when I noticed it was a lamp. The object shattered into hundreds of pieces when it made contact with the wall, tiny green and blue shards showering down upon the floor like rain.

"Don't make me do this, Estella. I need to end him." Michael begged as he loosened the hold his magic had on Nick's neck. "Anyone who is a threat to you deserves to die."

"Nick deserves to be saved, to have the chance to change. He doesn't deserve to die." I shook my head, tears brimming my eyes. "I am begging you, Michael Langdon. Let me help him."