Chapter Seven: The Alpha

"You're an absolute angel." I grinned sweetly at Lillian as she strolled into my office. A large paper bag was in one hand, while she held a cup of iced tea in the other. She mirrored my expression as she placed the items in front of me. 

"I'm the best, I know." She winked, giggling, as she plopped down in a chair. Hungrily, I took out the tacos she had brought me and took a savory bite. "Were you busy today?"

"I've had four appointments so far. My last one is in an hour, but overall, today wasn't that bad. You?"

"I was completely booked today. I had a few meetings with the board regarding an expansion. Apparently, they want to open a clinic in Chicago!" Lillian rolled her eyes as she massaged her temples. "I need a vacation."

She straightedges her posture and slapped her hands on my desk. "Anyway, do you want to grab some dinner later when we're both free?"

"Sure! Where do you want to go?"

"I heard that this amazing Japanese restaurant just opened in town." David's smooth voice laced through the air and I turned my head to catch sight of the black haired man leaning against my doorway. "Some say it's the best sushi Los Angeles has to offer. Why don't we go there?"

"That's funny." I tapped my finger against my chin in mock suspicion. "I don't remember Lillian or I ever inviting you."

"You two don't have to, because I already know you want me there." David sauntered toward me and sat down on the corner of my desk. His mouth turned up in an arrogant smirk as he gazed down at me. "Do you know how to use chop sticks? Because if not, I'd be happy to give you some lessons before we all go out."

"I've known how to use chopsticks since I was in elementary school, so your classes are unnecessary. Maybe you should try to educate yourself on how rude it is to sit on a person's desk without their permission." I shot back, ignoring his attempt to flirt with me.

"Ouch. Do you always have to be so mean?" He placed a hand against the his chest, acting wounded. Lillian chuckled and threw a napkin at him.

"Maybe if you stopped being annoying, she'd actually be nice to you." She said. "Shouldn't you be meeting with a patient right now?"

"She's running a little bit late because of the traffic, which means I get to have more time talking to two of my favorite people." David winked at me and I rolled my eyes, fighting the urge to flick him off.

"One, actually. I got to go." Lillian swiped through her phone, reading a message, as she stood up. "Emergency meeting! See you later for dinner, Estella!"

I watched as she swiftly made her way out the door, leaving David and I alone. His familiar aroma drowned the room as he walked around my office, while I finished the rest of my lunch. Acoustic indie music was being played through my portable speakers, the calming melody weaving its way through the air. 

"Who's your last patient today?" David asked, picking up a ceramic elephant that sat on my white bookshelf.

"Michael Langdon." I answered, wiping the corners of my mouth with a napkin. 

"How's he doing? Any progress?"

"Yeah, he's doing great. We're figuring some stuff out and I think he's going to be okay." A shadow of a smile blanketed my face as I remembered the cerulean eyed man. "I have high hopes for him."

"You have high hopes for all of your patients. You're always hoping and believing in the best outcome." David waved the elephant around as he spoke and shook his head. "You shouldn't think that way, because one of these days, one of your patients will just end up disappointing you."