Chapter Nine: Innocent Souls

"Come on, boy! We just want to have a few minutes with her." One of the creatures snickered, taking a menacing step forward. His hand extended towards us. "We don't bite."

"Don't come any closer!" Michael demanded and I could feel the rage rolling off him in waves. His mouth curled into a scowl as the blue in his eyes darkened. "If you don't leave, I'll send you straight to Hell."

"I'd like to see you try." The creature responded and flashed his teeth at me. Before I could blink, it lunged towards us, attempting to capture me in his grasp. A scream threatened to escape my throat as I staggered backwards.

Michael raised his hand and the terrifying grey monster froze in the air. Its mouth hung open in a silent scream as Michael clenched his fist. Cracks began to form on the monster's grey skin and blood leaked from the wounds. Soon, its body began to disintegrate into ashes.

Holy shit.

"Hmm, you smell sweeter than you look." A raspy voice whispered in my ear, emitting a gasp from my lips. I spun around and stared at one of the creatures in horror, not knowing how it materialized behind me. 

Its hands clamped down on my neck and wrenched me from Michael's side. Slowly, it raised me into the air until my feet dangled inches from the ground. Sharp nails dug deep into my skin and prevented any noise escaping my body. Its black tongue slithered from its gaping mouth and caressed my cheekbones as saliva dripped from its gums.

Michael!

He was so entranced by the torture he was placing on the other monster, he didn't realize what the other had done to me until I directed my thoughts towards him. His eyes shone bright with concern and anger when he took in the sight before him. I desperately tried to focus on him as my vision began to fade, while the creature continued to choke me.

"You're next." Michael hissed. He stalked towards us in an intimidating manner, eyes ablaze with fury.

"Not so fast! If you even try to hurt me, I'll snap her neck!" As the monster who was choking me spoke, his other companion watched on. "I doubt she's worth saving once she's dead."

"Let her go, now!" The blonde man boomed, eyes turning so dark they seemed black. My limbs began to fall limp by my sides as I began to slip out of consciousness. 

As Michael's rage escalated, the carnival began to feel his wrath. The lights decorating all the rides began to flicker wildly as the wind howled around us.

"Do you smell that?" The creature took a whiff and eased his grip on my neck, allowing me to breathe. An icy chuckle trickled from his lips as he placed his mouth on my cheek. "She smells so pure. The most delicious souls are the innocent ones."

And just like that, something in Michael completely snapped. I watched as Michael's eyes rolled to the back of his head as the wind continued to pick up speed while dark clouds rolled over us. The creature holding me hostage yelled a command to his companion to stop Michael. But it was too late.

 His fate has been sealed.

"I will make you pay." Michael vowed as he raised both of his hands in the air, palms forward.The creature crumbled to the ground, causing me to be released as well. I collapsed onto the concrete and coughed violently, trying to fill my lungs with more air. "No one hurts her. No one."

The creature was dragged towards Michael by an invisible force. It clawed the ground, nails scratching the surface, in an attempt to get away from Michael. Once it was inches away from him, Michael forced it into a standing position. His lips curled back in a scowl as he dug his hand deep into its chest, causing roars of agony to come from its writhing body. Its head thrashed as its skin began to turn a fiery red, sizzling and giving off billows of smoke as Michael fried it from the inside. Bits and pieces of its body began to fall and disappear into the night as it burned in front of me.