Chapter Three: Coffee, Cake, and Chances

Ian Somerhalder as David Hale

Claire Holt as Lillian Greyson

***

"So, tell me Estella Wintour, do you really think I can be saved?"

The memory of his words flowing through the air in his smooth, charismatic voice played in my mind repeatedly. I stood in the middle of the break room at work, the ghost of his lips slightly brushing my ear when he spoke haunting me. The image of Michael committing a deadly crime stained my every thought and made my blood run cold.

After he had asked me that question, he had mysteriously disappeared, leaving me alone in the store. I searched everywhere I could, but it was as if he was never there.

Hours turned to days and days turned to weeks since Michael and I last saw each other. He had missed two of his sessions and I was starting to grow worried.

I chewed gently on my bottom lip as I prepared to pour myself a cup of coffee before my first appointment. However, my thoughts were still occupied by the man with the beautiful pair of blue eyes.

There is nothing in his files about him murdering anyone, not even about the butcher at the store. If it happened, it should be stated on there, but it isn't! How could that even happen?!

"Shit." The word slipped from my tongue quietly when drops of coffee spilled from my mug and onto my hand. A red tint began to grow on my skin as I hurriedly tried to wipe up the spill with a napkin, ignoring the burning sensation my mistake had caused.

"Rough night?" A familiar voice asked and I rolled my eyes. "Let me guess... You were up all night thinking about me and couldn't sleep."

David Hale. He was the most pompous, irritating person I have ever met in my life, and also happened to be my coworker. His midnight colored hair came into my line of vision when I turned around, icy blue eyes darting to my burned hand.

"In your dreams, David. I would rather bash my head against the wall than spend a second thinking about you." I spat, knowing that a certain golden haired man was to blame for my lack of sleep. "What are you even doing in here?"