Chapter Ten: Bad Ideas

He lied! Why would he lie?!

I paced my bedroom floor swiftly, arms crossed over my chest, as I stared at the ceiling. The bottom of my lip was taken gently between my teeth as I nervously remembered the events at the carnival. It had been three days since I last saw Michael, three days of fear, confusion, and mind-consuming curiosity.

He knew who sent those creatures, but didn't want to tell me. Is someone after him and the creatures were a warning? Maybe it was his teachers at Hawthorne's!

I mulled over my thoughts as I plopped onto my bed, lying against the lilac covers and squeezing my eyes shut.

Outside my large window, the sun began to set below the horizon, signaling the end of another long day. I had just arrived from work, yet my mind had strayed further, following thoughts and questions about a mysterious man with sapphire eyes. The past three days had flown by and I had my distracted thoughts to blame for that. The next day was when I would see Michael again for our official appointment.

"Why weren't you working?!" I groaned as I aimed my frustration at my arms. "You should've been glowing and destroyed those E.T. looking bastards like you did at Murder House!"

Silence clouded over my apartment as I stared at my veins and wondered why they didn't glow when the monsters attacked. Questions swirled in my mind as I pondered over why they glowed in some situations, but remained normal in others. I gnawed at my bottom lip and glanced over at my laptop. The screen shown brightly as the website for Miss Robichaux's Academy remained open. Temptation danced around my mind when I let my curiosity engulf me like an ocean.

What if I contacted Miss Robichaux's? They probably have answers to my questions. If they run an entire school of witches, surely they must have an idea on what the hell's going on with me.

But would it be safe? What if they don't like me and put a hex on me or something? Plus, the academy is all the way in New Orleans! Do I really want to go all the way there to a place that I don't know a lot about?

I rose from my spot on the bed and marched towards the laptop, grabbing it swiftly. Sighing, I sat down on a nearby pastel pink armchair and placed the device on my lap. Uncertainty consumed my curiosity as I debated on what to do.

"I wish you guys were here right now." Sadness coated my words as I gazed longingly at the picture frame on my glass desk. Enclosed within it was a photo of my parents, both of them beaming down at a younger me, in front of my grandma's garden. "Maybe you guys would know what to tell me."

My heart ached when I remembered that the anniversary of their death was approaching. Another year without them, yearning for their love and presence.

Shaking my head, I tried to ignore the crippling sadness threatening to overtake my being, knowing what would happen if I let myself slip into the darkness that I tried so hard to fight ever since they died. I tore my gaze from my parents' happy faces and looked back down onto my laptop.

"One thing's for sure: they have a good sense of style." I stopped at a photo of the witches standing in front of their grand home, all dressed fashionably in black. "Maybe I'll try to learn more about myself instead of asking other people for help right away."

Finally, after a few more minutes of stalking the website, I returned to the information page. My heartbeat drummed against my ears as I slowly moved my mouse towards the print button, the sound of my printer humming to life lacing through the air. I picked up the piece of paper that slid out of the machine and took in a deep breath.

The academy's contact page was on the paper, along with another picture of their Supreme and a red headed lady standing next to her. Eyes scanned the page, lingering softly at the phone number for a few seconds.