Chapter 30: Flying Deer

Sam

"How about next time, we do a father and daughter hunting trip," Dad said eyeing Xavier as he walked around the truck to where I was standing.

"Yes, dad." I smiled shaking my head.

"Good."

"I thought you liked him." I laughed.

"I do," my dad, said before sighing. "It's just. I see him and the way he looks at you and it reminds me that you aren't little anymore."

I wrapped my arm around my dad's waist and he pulled me close. "I'll always be your little girl."

He shook his head with a smile. "As much as I tell myself that. You aren't little anymore baby. You're growing up and it's hard for a dad to watch his daughter grow up so fast."

"Trust me," I smirked. "You aren't going to get rid of me that easily."

My dad laughed and kissed the top of my head. "And I wouldn't change that for the world."

"So Xavier. Tell us about yourself," my grandpa asked as we got our stuff out of the truck.

I looked over at a nervous Kyrn.

"Shit," I mouthed to her.

"Uh, I help my dad run the family business," he said.

"I see," my grandpa nodded. "Ready to load the guns?"

We all nodded while Jay and Xavier seemed unsure.

"We can load them for you guys," Kyrn told them.

"Thanks, babe." Jay kissed her on the cheek while Jim cleared his throat.

Kyrn giggled and started loading Jay's gun.

"Xavier had me your gun," I demanded, teasingly.

"Okay mother," he mocked.

I rolled my eyes and loaded it for him.

"How come you can't load it, Xavier? Do you even know how to load a gun?" My grandpa asked confused.

I handed Xavier back his gun.

"No, I do. It's just last time, the bullet shocked my finger and I didn't want to get shocked again," he said as we all started walking into a small clearing.

"What do you mean shocked?"

"Oh. When I touched it, it shocked me. Like when you touch the springs on a trampoline."

"I'm sure it won't shock you this time." My grandpa chuckled.

"No, it's fine. Sam said she would do it for me," Xavier said a little quickly.

My grandpa looked at Xavier suspiciously bit didn't say anything.

We finally came up to our deer stands.

"Okay. Kyrn, Jay, Xavier, and I will take this one. And you guys can have that one," I said.

My dad and Jim frowned and my grandpa wouldn't take his eyes off of Xavier.

"Xavier. Can you help me with my gun?" My grandpa asked.

Oh shit.

Xavier looked downright terrified and Jay looked nervous. Like really nervous.

"Uh. Sure," Xavier said unsurely.

My grandpa smiled. But it wasn't one of those normal smiles. It was a really weird smile. Like he had a plan of some sort.

"I think I found the problem. Can you hold these bullets for me?" Grandpa said too sweetly.

What is he playing at?