Running

Half way to my house, the air seems to get colder and thinner, and my breathing gets heavier. I shiver as the freezing wind pierces through my legs, and slices at my face and torso. The winds seem to be blowing only around me, as if I'm the center of a vortex lacking oxygen. I begin running, or at least trying to, determined not to stop and at full speed. I ignore my body when it signals that it's tired. I ignore the pain from my feet against the concrete and sharp loose rocks.

Kaito... I have to get home...

My lungs ache against my ribcage, tired from the sharp breaths and exhales. I finally reach home, and stumble on the concrete stairs, scraping my shin and knee, but I finally reach my door.

"I'm sorry. I'll see you again soon." A small voice speaks to me, a girl? I look next to me to see a glowing pair of eyes, on red, one blue. The blue eye is consumed by red before it disappears with the sound of wings. I wince from the pain in my lungs.

Idiot, where did you put the spare key?

I check the surface under my mailbox and find my spare key taped to it. I feel my vision blurring, my body shutting down, and the corners of my eyes becoming surrounded in darkness. I manage to open and close my door, take two steps, but then I fell. The darkness has consumed my vision.

💙💚💙💙💚💙

Get up. Get up! What would Kaito think? Did you lock the door? Can you feel that? Nobody is home. Your family will never come back. You don't even have a family. Can you hear them speaking now? They're calling you... Mother is...

'Your human name will be Ryuunosuke Takehiro. Don't bother telling anyone about this. They will all leave you.'

💙💚💙💚💙💚

"Ryuu! Ryuu! You have to wake up," Kaito screams very loudly.

Kaito, I feel so cold.

"Can you hear me, Ryuunosuke," Kaito screams again.

Kaito, talk lower, my head hurts. Kaito please, just give me your warmth again.

"Open your eyes for me, Ryuu! Ryuu, please!"

I open my eyes slowly, giving my eyes time to adjust to the blinding light of the morning. Kaito picks me up easily and holds me. His head is on my shoulder. I am sitting up. Weakly, I hold his face in my hands.

He's crying. Did I make Kaito cry?

"No..." My voice comes out so weak, it almost didn't come out at all.

"Ryuu..." He whispers my name as if surprised.

I feel so weak, so cold.

I wipe Kaito's tears away and smile.

See? I'm okay, Kaito, I'm okay.

Kaito closes his eyes and puts his hand on my cheek as he leans his face closer to mine. I feel a sharp pain in my foot and put my face on Kaito's shoulder.

Kaito, it hurts! My feet!

"My feet..." My voice comes out as a whimper. Kaito gets up, and I see that my feet are bandaged up to the top of my knee. I feel fear control me. I stand in a hurry. In a few seconds, I fall straight to the floor on my knees.

It hurts so much! Can I even walk? Why can't I stand without pain? What happened to me?

I get chills down my spine as soon as the wind entering from my open window touches the back of my neck.

She's back... This wind...

"Where is she? The wind?"

I crawl back to my futon and put the covers up to my neck. I look at Kaito, who looks like he's about to cry again. He notices my expression of panic and surprise.