Light in Darkness

Kou falls asleep on Kanashimi's lap, and Kaito explains that Kohaku had always been ill. She was diagnosed with breast cancer the same day they told her she was pregnant, and she knew she wouldn't survive Kou's birth. Kaito had raised Kou only with the help of Kirei and his mother. His mother goes to the store after giving everyone taiyaki. Kirei had been at work, raising funds for Kou's education.
"He has become the light of my life, and I would be in the ground already if it weren't for him. He doesn't ask for his mother much, but when he does, they all have blue eyes. He feels more comfortable with people with either green or blue eyes." He laughs a little. "I've told him stories of a dragon prince with green eyes. It's his favorite story. He can't sleep without hearing an adventure of the dragon prince. Are you here, for good?" Kaito has a voice of liquid platinum, and I love him. Oh god, how I love him.
"We are here to stay, but we will be gone for periods of time to do our job. Are you employed?" Haruka's voice breaks the gaze of eye contact with Kaito and I.
"I do not work. I am a full time stay at home dad. If I worked, Kou would be home alone all day, and I never want him to be home alone. Everyone else works, and they're happy to do so. I thank them by doing all the chores and cooking." His smile is wavering, and I know he has given up his dreams for Kou. His dream of being a chef has wavered and faded just like his smile.
I feel my chest tighten because of his lost dream. He worked so hard to learn how to cook. I remember him making all my meals after we met, and I tasted the improvement after each one. Kaito has a family now.
Does he need me? Can I be a father to Kou? Will I have the time?
I stand up suddenly as I feel a buzzing in my ear. I throw my head around violently out of the pure terror that a bug is in my ear, then I stop to hear a voice. I look around and see them all concerned, speaking, but I cannot hear a word. The voice escalates to a whisper, and then to screaming.
"DR. TAKEHIRO TO ALL SUBJECTS, I REPEAT, DR. TAKEHIRO TO ALL SUBJECTS. YOU MUST ALL REPORT BACK TO THE LAB AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. THERE IS AN URGENT MISSION IN THIS AREA. I REPEAT, THERE IS AN URGENT MISSION IN THIS AREA."
"We are being summoned to another mission. He says it is urgent. We must go, now," I say with a very stern voice.
"How could you possibly know this?" Kaito sounds skeptical.
"Ryuunosuke is right, I just heard the same news." Haruka confirms.
"Ryuu, I need to speak with you in private," Kaito says seriously. I walk upstairs into his room and he joins. I sit on his bed with a familiar face. I smile with pure excitement as I cradle Mio and kiss his nose. He meows and releases purrs of happiness.
I look up at Kaito as he closes the door to his room.
"What did you want to speak of, Kaito?"
"You can't leave me again. I want you to be a part of Kou's life. I want you to be his other father. Please don't leave again. I love you. I have always loved you. Without you there, I felt like nothing. I drank and did so many drugs. I love Kou but I was only with his mom because we were both on acid and drunk. I didn't love her. Please stay with me."
I feel tears well up in my eyes from happiness, but I know what is right.
"I have a destiny, a purpose to fulfill, Kaito. I need to be the leader of a war. I need to save all of the golden hearts. I am a dragon for fucks sake. Dragons are only known for destruction. They kill and have hordes and shit like that. I can't stay here forever. I want to be the first dragon to save people. Kaito, I love you, and I will save you."
"Do you even hear yourself? I know you have some sort of wings, but none of this makes sense! None of this should be real! Dragons are myth! People should never take science that far! Humans shouldn't have wings or be a wolf!"
Immediately he looks at me, apologizing with his eyes and full of regret. Hurt, I go downstairs without saying a word. Kou looks at me with a smile.
"I'm so sorry, Kou..." My voice trails off as I whisper my sentence with pain. I walk out with Katsumi at my heels and exit through the front door. I spread out my wings and jumped into the air, taking flight and not looking back. I feel pain and regret in my chest. It overpowers me and tears stream down my face. Unable to see clearly, I accidentally bumped into a tree and twigs get caught in my wing. I suddenly crash onto the ground and try to sit up to remove the twigs.
I then realize the cold white powder all around me. I cannot believe I hadn't noticed it before. It was winter here. I love winter.
I quickly remove the twigs that were caught in my rough scales. I retract them and lie down, moving my arms and legs to make a snow angel. I look around and notice I'm in a forest, with not much life in sight. I walk towards the way I came, and begin to smell blood. I run to the scent to make sure no one is hurt.
As the scent gets stronger, I begin to run and I feel anxiety growing stronger within me as I see bloody prints. A wolf?
I keep following the prints as I then see the wolf that has been injured. The wolf is deep brown with eyes fading away. What I once would assume to be bright yellow is losing its shine, becoming the color of dead yellow leaves in autumn. His breathing is heavy and labored, and when he catches sight of me, I feel as though this is not the last time I will feel this sadness.
The wolf tries to run, but it doesn't seem like he is trying to run from me, but maybe towards someone else. He whines at first but then let's out a weak howl. As he turns his head, I see the cause of all the blood. A laceration to his jugular, most likely due a hunter. I lay a hand on his head, and he never quits trying to howl. What message does he need to send?
I then hear a strong howl, reaching across the stars and trees. Two weaker howls join in, expressing a pain that I now feel.
After this, the injured wolf seems relieved, relaxed, as he rests his head. His breathing becomes weaker, as I hear faint wheezes.
And with that, he's gone.