Chapter 22

Jason Adams.

Two words I couldn't stand anymore. A name that made me want to punch something and letters I couldn't bare to see joined together.

What I now found out was that, despite being called three days ago, Jason Adams never came. Despite being told his wife was near death, he never came. Despite being told that his wife was in the hospital, Jason Adams pretended to hear the news for the first time today.

"Thank you so much, Jayce." My mom beamed and I felt a little guilty that she knew him as Jayce. His fake name. She really took a liking to him.

"It's no problem, Mrs. Adams. I'm happy to be of help for both you and Lenna." Caspien smiled and she tried sitting up.

"I'll help you, mom." I reached out to help her, propping her up. She patted my back softly and I grinned. "Oh, Keeva and Isa send their love." Her eyes lit up as tears formed in them.

"These girls have grown and matured so much." She wiped her tear away and I smiled. "Speaking of the girls, why aren't you in school, young lady?"

"What do you mean? I'm here at the hospital taking care of you not at a Rock concert." I rolled my eyes and she hit me on the arm. "It's already Wednesday, I'll just take the week off." She gave me a look and I pretended to not notice. Moms would be moms.

My mom's face went blank as she stared intently at the wall. "He's not here." I immediately knew who she was speaking about. I glanced at Caspien who was leaning on the wall.

"Actually, he said he'll be here today." The smile I expected to see wasn't there. Instead, a frown graced her beautiful features. I thought that would make her happy. I glanced over at Caspien. He shrugged. There was an awkward silence now.

The room door opened and a doctor and nurse came in. "Okay Mrs. Adams. Let's see how you're doing." The doctor said with a smile and I got up from the bed, giving him some space to do his job.

"You make me sound old. Please call me Lauren." My mom stated with a small pout. I smiled at her childishness.

"Funny how your daughter said the same thing." The nurse chimed with a grin. Oh yeah. She was the same nurse that took care of me. I beamed at her. I looked towards the wall and Caspien was no longer there. Where did he go?

"So how are you feeling, Mrs...Lauren?" The doctor asked, taking a look at his clipboard.

"Like I slammed my head against the edge of a counter." Both the doctor and nurse chuckled. "But all joking aside. My head hurts a lot." My lips pressed into a thin line. She must be in so much pain.

"As expected. You hit your head pretty hard." She shifted. "The pain medication I prescribed you, you're taking them right?"

"Yeah but it's not like it makes a huge difference. I can still feel my heart beating in my head. It gives me an entire different understanding of think with your heart." She joked and the doctor chuckled.

The doctor told me that they wanted to do an MRI on her so that they can get a look of her brain to see if there's any long term injuries and that based on other tests, nothing life threatening was detected so far.

Mom had fallen asleep a while ago so I was now roaming the hospital halls. A nurse wheeled a guy down the hall in a wheelchair and I gave a short wave to him in which he smiled brightly.

I went outside for some fresh air and was surprised I saw Caspien sitting there with a hand running through his hair. He looked stressed. I tapped him lightly on the shoulder. When his eyes met mine, it looked sad. "You've looked better." I joked but he never smiled.