Chapter 4

I stand in my bedroom, going through my closet. It is finally Friday.

After school I immediately went to Mr. West to give up my research paper then headed home to get ready for Dylan and I's date.

Wait. Date? Nope, it is just us hanging out. Yes, hanging out.

I turn around, already knowing that Jayce came in like a minute ago. He thought he was quiet but he wasn't.

My senses are always heightened. "Damn it.  I thought I'd scare you." He say before plopping down on my bed.

"Try again maybe next year." I tell him and he sits up straight, a bit serious now.

"I wont be here next year." He says, looking at the window.

"How long are you even here for?" I ask, turning back to the closet. I rummage through it again for something casual but pretty.

"However long it takes me to get you back to yourself again." His voice is monotonous and I glance over my shoulder quickly. He is being weird.

"And you think it'll take less than a year to do that?"

"I hope so." He answers quickly and I turn around with a smirk.

"Already tired with me?" He shakes his head, a smirk building.

"Oh, I'm just starting to get to know you." His smirk is infectious.

"Good." I reply, turning to face my closet again. "Because there's more to me than ruining friendships." I laugh a little, referring to the entire Carmen situation hoping he will laugh along but he doesn't. I know my attempt at humour is futile most of the times but come on, it isn't bad.

I whip around again to show him two t-shirts. A plain green short in the front and long in the back jersey and an off the shoulder dark blue and white. He raises an eyebrow. "You want me to choose which t-shirt?" He looks between the two t-shirts.

"I was hoping that you would but now you're acting like I told you to choose my wedding dress or something." I laugh and he does so as well.

"That one." He points at the off the shoulder one, I nod and hold the top against me. I tilt my head a little to get a better look in the mirror and my hair falls into my face, shielding my view.

I quickly tuck the strands behind my ear, peeking into the mirror again. Like before, my hair falls around my face again and I sigh. I stand straighter. Just as I am about to tuck it behind my ear again, my hair suddenly lifts off my shoulder. I stiffen as Jayce stand behind me. I slowly look in the mirror to see him carefully pulling my hair into a scrunchie at the top of my head. One strand lay loosely against my face, defiantly. His hand goes up to brush away the strand, his knuckles brushing my cheek. My breathing becomes steady. "This one's defiant." He comments, tugging on the strand with a smile. I look up at him, my back resting against his chest. A grin breaks out on my face.

His eyes are pools of green that holds a forest beyond them. A wide canopy of mystery. He clears his throat then backs away. I look down at the floor in contemplation. He is so weird sometimes.

I now figured it out. There are two sides of Jayce from The Society.

The happy go lucky Jayce that cracks jokes and always smiles like the world is the safest place and the Jayce that is worried and serious at times. The Jayce that will look at me intently and try to figure out what is it that made me 'lose' myself as he puts it. That Jayce is intent on getting his job done. Nothing more.

That's why I can't hope that we'll become best of friends.

He is on a mission and I am his subject.