Chapter 6

I sat on a chair in front a mirror in my bedroom as I tried my best to curl my hair without burning my face off. I successfully got the front to curl but the back...now that was the tricky part. "Ouch." I seethed as a sizzling sound filled my ear.

"Continue like that and you won't have to worry about curling your hair ever again since you'll burn all off." I turned around in the chair to glare at Jayce. He was lounging on my bed with his head buried in a book and his feet crossed at the ankles. 

"Shut up!" I groaned, throwing an eyeliner at him. It landed with a soft thud on the bed beside him but he never once glanced up. A light smile played on his features. 

"Just a heads up, baldy." I rolled my eyes, returning my gaze to the mirror. I heard feet hit the ground then small footsteps coming my way. I focused solely on getting my hair curled as my teeth grasp my bottom lip in concentration.

"You're cute when you're focused." Jayce said as his hand came over mine to gently take the curling iron from my hand. I jolted upwards eyeing him. "What?"

"I'm so not trusting you with a curling iron." I told him and he gave a little laugh. A melodious sound, really. "Now there's a higher chance that I'll have no hair by the end of the night."

"Sit down. I'm not that bad. How terrible can I really be compared to you?" He said and I took a step back.

"I literally rather do my hair with my eyes closed." I responded with a small laugh. He laughed along as his eyes bounced around the room.

"Come on." He pulled me towards him, forcing me into the seat. "I will duck tape you to this chair." I huffed, folding my hands on my chest. "Okay, let's see." He took in a deep breath, lifting my hair in one hand and the curling iron in the other to inspect it with furrowed brows.

"Have you ever seen a curling iron before, anyway?" I asked and he cleared his throat, giving me a look.

"Of course, I've seen one before." His voice said otherwise though. What had I gotten myself into? "So do I just twist the hair around it or just place it on the hair itself?" He asked and my eyes widened in complete fear.

"You idiot, if you just place it on the hair itself, do you think it'll magically curl itself?" I scolded, throwing my hands in the air.

"Calm down, Adams. I was only joking." I saw him rolling his eyes at me from my view in the mirror. "I'm not that stupid." 

"Oh, you're not? My bad then. Could've fooled me." I replied with a slight smirk and a lopsided grin covered his face.

"I will burn your hair off, madam." He joked. "So be quiet and play nice."

"I'll try but I can't guarantee any positive results." Surprisingly, Jayce wasn't frying my hair off in the back there. 

"Since I first met you I knew you were a meanie." He grinned and I smiled.

"I am not. I've been nothing but nice to you."

"You threw an apple towards my head then basically threatened me with an umbrella." He argued with an amused expression. "If that wasn't mean then I don't know what is." I shrugged. nonchalantly. 

"You were a strange looking dude that was standing in the middle of my room." I defended. "If that wasn't creepy then you announcing that you were me did it." A chuckle escaped his being and I wanted to marvel in it.

"Oh my gosh." I whispered, turning around to face him. He looked down at me, pausing from curling my hair. He looked around the room then slowly brought his face to my ear.

"What?"

"Do that again." I whispered and a confused look took over his face. I knew I was being strange and that he was probably thinking I was strange and I was probably actually strange and that every moment of this situation was strange but...I found his laughter ridiculously strange. But like a really good strange. Like a soothing kind of strange. The strange that you'd get drunk or high on.