Chapter 13

Joyce's leg was a little sore after jumping down the hole. She thought about Leanna's question. How were they gonna get back to land?

     Noah cleared his throat, and Joyce turned around. "We'll need to find a new way out," Noah said, "Is your foot better?" She nodded.

     Joyce noticed that Daniel was focusing on one side of the hole. He walked over to the hole and started pushing one of the rocks. Joyce joined him. I hope nothing bad is behind here... William, Noah, and the rest of the Awesome 4 came over.

     After a while, the rock collapsed, and revealed a maze! Everyone walked inside. The cave walls are tall, and the footsteps echoed. Daniel looked determined, which made Joyce scared. Has this happened before? Does he know the way? Is he gonna leave us?!

     Before any of them could do anything, Daniel ran into the maze and disappeared. "Where did he GO?" demanded Charles. He looked like he was gonna explode any minute. "UGGG, let's try that way." Charles pointed to the right.

     They went to the right. Click, clack. Joyce's blood ran cold. Someone was FOLLOWING them. Joyce lowered her voice. "Guys! I think the killer is COMING!" She tried to hold in her tears.

     "UGGG, quick! This way!" Stella demanded. They all rushed to follow Stella. At this point, Joyce was crying.

     Noah glanced over. "COME ON, don't cry! We NEED to get out!" Joyce felt Emely pat her on the back in a reassuring way. Joyce looked behind them. Was that a knife she just saw out of the corner of her eye? She turned back around.

     William was in the back. Everything blurred, and he just kept following everybody else. I don't wanna die. His legs were getting tired. Whenever they ran into a dead end, his heart stopped. I can do this. Just a few more minutes.

     "HEY! There's the END!" Leanna screamed. Finally. William was too tired to say anything. His legs felt weak, so weak. He was tempted to just fall down and give up. Please, legs, keep going!

     All of a sudden, he tripped. William let out a scream. He saw everyone turn around and look at him. He saw Joyce cry even harder. "Leave me! Don't di-"

     William could hear loud footsteps behind him. He scrambled to get up.

     "There's nothing we can do. If we stay, we'll die too," Noah said sadly to the group. He looked miserable. "I'm sorry I didn't believe you. I think Daniel is the murderer now." The group turned back and kept running toward the exit.

     William tried to get up, but his legs wouldn't function. His heart hammered in his chest and beads of sweat formed on his forehead. William turned his head sideways. IT'S HIM. The man in the woods. I was right. He saw the man run to him. UGGG, GET UP!! RUN!

     William inhaled a final breath before he felt the knife instantaneously plunge into his back.