Chapter 6

Stella looked at Pine Wood Trail. She thought it looked easy enough, and she hoped that nobody would die here. She saw that there was an messy obstacle course. This was gonna be fun.

     "I am better than everyone here. Suckers," joked Stella. "JOYCE, EMELY, LEANNA! COME ON!"

     "I'm so excited! THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER!" Joyce yelled as she jumped on the wood plank floating on the water. "Hopefully, I don't fall."

     Joyce spotted the 3 other boys at the hiking trial ahead of her. There was one more obstacle until the hike is over, plus a reward. Joyce jumped on the wood platforms and one by one, they got taller and she successfully completed the hike, she was to run to the end until, suddenly, she heard a scream followed by a huge splash. Joyce turned around and saw Leanna and Charles in the water. Leanna struggled for what seemed like a lifetime before she grabbed Charles to heave him back up on land.

      "Looks like I got my swim day after all," Charles mocked, and everyone laughed afterwards. Well, everyone except Noah, the oldest of the group.

     She shook her head as she laughed and tried to glared at him. "Uggg, why did I help him. I hate him."

     "Uh, are you guys okay? Me and Stella already finished the hiking and now we're waiting for the rest of you guys to be finished." Emely called.

     Joyce heard Noah call out, "Oof okay, we're coming."

     "Mmm good s'more, good s'more," said Leanna, "It's almost worth almost drowning for." Leanna was still lightheaded from being underwater for so long. After they got out, Park Ranger Daniel gave everyone who completed the trail a s'more as a prize. The only person who didn't complete it was William, but Charles gave him half of his.

     "NOM, NOM, NOM." The group of students were all gathered around the campfire outside the tents. Leanna looked up at the moon. It took them a long time to walk back there from the trail. She didn't tell anyone, but when she was down in the water, she thought she would DIE, just like Jacob... Which reminds me!

     "Hey Daniel!" Leanna saw him look over at her. He was still wearing the clothes he wore yesterday. Now that she thought about it, it seemed like that Daniel was the type of person to wear his camping uniform everyday. "If you really think we were lying, why isn't Jacob here today?"

     To her surprise, Daniel didn't look worried. Maybe Emely was right. Maybe Daniel DID have something to do with Jacob's murder. What if Daniel was the murderer? She ignored the thought. Daniel was here to protect them. Plus, he seemed like a good guy. He didn't seem like the type to kill... Right?

     Everyone turned and looked at Daniel for his answer to Leanna's question. She's right. Daniel has to believe us now, thought Emely. The excitement of the day almost made her forget about what happened the night before.

     "What a coincidence! I was on the phone while you guys were on the trail. Apparently, Jacob's parents came early this morning and picked him up. They didn't want to disturb us, so they decided to call later instead. His parents said that they had a family emergency to attend to, and that it was important the Jacob was there to receive the news." Hmm, this is almost TOO perfect. Is Daniel lying? Emely didn't know what to think. On one hand, Daniel seemed like a totally normal guy. Well, a totally normal guy who didn't get shaken up by scary things... On the other hand, Daniel always happened to be in some other place while all these terrible incidents were occurring.

     Suddenly, it started raining. "Oh no, it's raining! Let's get inside fast." Leanna and Emely headed together into the green tent. What's that smell? Leanna sniffed. It smells like someone died in here! But there's no dead body...