Chapter 11

Emely was relieved. They would be safe now. Daniel was gonna be gone, and they could all go home. This horrible school trip would become a distant memory.

    They were all outside. Even Joyce, who didn't really want to come, but after some convincing, came. But because of her foot, she sat on the ground. Emely heard an owl in the woods. It was still nighttime, and there were mosquitos buzzing everywhere. She could feel them biting at her legs and arms.

    Emely swatted the mosquitos away. Park Ranger Daniel turned around at the noise they were making. She could practically see the color drain from his face.

     "Wha-what are you doing?" stammered Daniel. Emely looked at Noah. He looked scared, but also something else. Confident. He knows the right choice.

     Noah loaded the gun. Emely heard Joyce whisper, "No, I don't want to watch." Joyce covered her eyes. Stella also looked a little nauseous. "I don't want to either." But Stella kept her eyes open.

     Emely looked down at her feet. She didn't want to admit it, but she was also a little scared. She knew Daniel was the murderer, but she couldn't help thinking that maybe if things had gone differently, everyone would be fine. Emely heard Charles say, "Stuffs gonna GO DOWN today! I can't wait to run back home!" She looked up when she heard Noah release the safety on the gun. She braced herself.

     Noah started. "I'm sorry Daniel, but there is too much evidence stacked against you..." Emely could already hear the BOOM of the gun. Joyce sniffled.

     He looked defeated. Wait, defeated? Isn't Noah gonna shoot?  "Ugh, I can't do this," he snapped. Park Ranger Daniel breathed a sigh of relief. Everyone was too stunned to move. Noah walked over to his bookbag and shoved the gun inside. Charles looked bewildered.

     Another moment passed before William said, "WHAT? CAN'T YOU SEE?! HE'S THE KILLER!" William marched over to Noah and shoved him. Noah staggered back.

     "No, he isn't," he calmly replied, "I didn't tell you this because I thought it was irrelevant, but Daniel helped Joyce with her foot."

     Emely looked down at her on the ground. Joyce nodded and looked straight at William. "It's true."

     William looked shocked. "What?! Uggg, I need some time to think." He trudged into one of the tents. Emely didn't know what to think, what to do. Daniel's NOT the murderer?

     "Umm, campers?" Everyone peered at Daniel, who still looked extra-pale, "You guys should probably get some sleep. I'm not this killer you guys are talking about," he paused a bit. "I promise."

     Emely was tired. She yawned. "Okay, Awesome 4. Let's get some sleep."

"