Chapter 19- Six Weeks

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN ANY OF THE HARRY POTTER STORYLINE, SETTINGS OR CHARACTERS, ALL CREDIT GOES TO J.K ROWLING.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The silence has been long and painful; it has lasted for six weeks. And the truth is; it hurts. It’s like being dragged through hell and back every minute of the day. The worst thing is, that I didn’t realise what an amazing thing I had, until it was gone.

After that night, I picked up my already packed bags and moved into the Leaky Cauldron, getting a job as a bartender as a form of paying them for the accommodation and food that I was receiving.

Since then, I have had a lot of letters from Ginny asking why I wasn’t at the flat anymore and why George and I were suddenly complete strangers. I could never bring my self to tell her. She thought it was a ‘silly little argument’, she visited me one day and told me this, that if we didn’t sort it out soon it would ruin her special day.

Speaking of the wedding, the date has changed, it’s been moved forward, to November the fifth, for two reasons, one being that they have finally realised Christmas eve is not entirely ideal considering the size of the family and other people’s commitments and two, Ginny still wanted it on a festival so they thought Bonfire night was as good as any. This means the wedding is only a month away. I don’t think this silence will be broken soon, George and I are both too stubborn.

I saw Sam walking down the street yesterday; we have not spoken properly since that night either, he did nod and wave as he walked past the Leaky Cauldron though. At least I know that I haven’t completely lost him, I think he will realise I’m right soon, he always does eventually.

The bad thing about my current living arrangements is that I have too much time to think, to remember. There isn’t a thing in the world that would make me happier than hearing his voice, that cheeky little chuckle, to see his grin that stretches right across his face, to feel his arms wrapped around my waist or carelessly slung across my shoulder. I would even argue with him again just so I could be near him. But despite all of that, nothing can bring me to walk over to that shop that I used to call home because I don’t know what I would do if I saw him. Would I scream? Or cry? Or would I just stand there not saying anything at all?

“Err, Athena?” I turned around to look at my employer, Hannah Abbott- who had replaced the previous owner, Tom.

“Yes?” I asked, my voice lacking any real emotion.

“I’m really, sorry but we are going to have to let you go,” she was stammering “And you will have to give up your room.”

I couldn’t believe it, “What, Why?!”

“We can’t afford to keep you on…”

“You don’t pay me!” I argued “I work for food and a roof!”

“I’m sorry Athena…”

“I have no where to go!”

“Sorry.” Her last word was final. She handed me a bag of fifty galleons for my work, but somehow that didn’t make up for it.

I threw the tea towel I was holding onto the bar and stormed off to get my bags. Just minutes later I left the Leaky Cauldron and vowed that I would never go back. I stood outside on the cobbled street and looked around; I saw a line of children queuing up outside Weasley’s Wizarding Wheezes and I realised what a mess I was in. How did I end up living in a pub? And now, living no where at all. I panicked slightly, where was I going to go? I couldn’t go back to the shop, Sam lives with Neville- who I don’t know, Andromeda has Teddy and I don’t have enough money to buy my own place. I had only one reasonable option, the Burrow.

I soon arrived at the familiar gate, for the first time in weeks. I instantly saw the person I needed to see, Harry.

“Harry!” I called, and rushed over to him.

He had been just walking through the front door when he turned around and saw me, “Athena?” he laughed “I’ve barely seen you recently!”

“Mhmm” I chuckled nervously. He took me into a brief hug and looked at my face, his voice softened “You don’t look very well, Athena, you look very tired.”

I looked at my feet and cleared my throat “Thank you Harry.” I said sarcastically, trying to lighten my mood, and I followed him into the house.

“Hey, Ginny, look who’s here!” Harry called, suddenly.

Instantly, Ginny’s head popped around the corner and she came out of the kitchen and gasped, “Athena!” she cried and wrapped me up in a bone crushing hug.

“What brings you here?” she looked at me sincerely.

Looking at her face reminded me of where I was and what situation I was in, I broke down in tears.

I hadn’t cried in 6 weeks, I wouldn’t let myself, because tears are a weakness, I had tried to convince myself that it wasn’t worth crying over. So these tears came in floods, just like the last ones, six weeks ago. Ginny and Harry sat me on the sofa and waited for me to calm down. By that time Mr and Mrs Weasley had joined us as well. They all looked at me worriedly. I could see they were questioning me, just by watching me.

“I’ve lost everything.” I finally whispered. There was a brief silence.

“Everything?” Arthur asked kindly, he had his hand on my back in a sort of fatherly gesture. It was like he was trying to convince me that I was wrong.

I looked up at his face, “I lost my job, my home, my friends-” I stopped just before I said his name, everyone could see it was drawn on my lips, ready to be spoken.

“That explains why we haven’t seen either of you for a while.” Molly said frankly. I knew who the other person she was to, my heart crumpled.

I looked at my feet, urging the tears to stay away.

“That was some argument you had.” She said; her voice carried an edge.

I looked up in horror at the people surrounding me.

“Yes, we know about it.” Harry said softly.

“Sam.” I muttered and shook my head.

“Well, we weren’t going to find out from anybody else were we?!” Ginny cried.

I sniffed “Ok, but that’s not why I came.” I said, bringing up my head and shoulders a little more confidently “Mr and Mrs Weasley, I need your help, please may I stay here for a little while, just until I get another job and sort my self out, I promise not to cause any trouble?” I said quickly, before I embarrassed myself further.

Another silence followed my request, Molly’s eyes softened “Of course, dear. For as long as you need.”

“But only under one condition.” Arthur cut in “You have to sort things out with George, before the wedding.”

My eyes widened. Arthur cut me off before I could protest. “It’s not fair on Harry or Ginny otherwise.”

 I looked at their sincere faces. I couldn’t argue with that.

“I don’t think…” I began.

“My only condition, Athena.” Arthur said slowly and forcefully.

I sighed, “I’ll try.”

“Good, glad that’s sorted.” Ginny, piped up. “Come and try on your bridesmaids dress on, then.” And she promptly walked up the stairs, tugging my arm along the way.

A/N: Here's chapter 19! I'm trying to pick up the pace of uploads now because I want to finish it before the watty awards deadline, I appreciate that I probably won't get through but it's inspiring me to finish:P. Anyway I hop you like the chapter, and please vote and/or comment if you liked it! I love to hear what you have to say, but I never get much feedback these days... :S Much love, Rubato:)<3