The Band

I let out a long breath, following Zack down the stairs. I heard chatter and then a lot of loud greetings as they saw Zack and I coming down the stairs. 

I saw an average guy with a shaved head. "Hey!" He cheered. 

Zack waved his big arms in the air and ran towards the guy and did one of those 'bro' hugs. They said something to each other and started to laugh. Zack turned towards me. 

"Kendra, this is Rian." He spoke, looking at me. 

"Hi." I smiled. He greeted me in a friendly manner and sat on the couch. From the corner of my eye I saw a feminine figure coming from the bathroom door. She had long brown hair with randomly placed strips of blonde. I saw some tattoos on her arm. 

"Hey Zack!" I heard her shout. 

Zack quickly turned around and smiled. He walked over towards her and gave her a hug. He had her under his arm, as he walked towards me. 

"Kendra, meet Cassadee." 

"Hi," She waved at me with a smile. I didn't say much, just smiled back at her and looked at Zack. I was wondering who this girl was. She definatley wasn't in the band. 

"Babe, come over here." I heard Rian call out. Then it hit me. I mentally slapped myself, it was obviously Rian's girlfriend. I silenty chuckled to myself, I really shouldn't assume things. I shuddered as Shane appeared in my head.

We all gathered in the living room, watching television and talking. I stayed silent most of the time, just staring at the floor. There were moments where I said a word or two or laughed when everyone else laughed. I honestly, was bummed. I was upset Zack had to go. We were just getting the hang of things. I didn't want things to change. 

Zack casually put his arm around me, resting it on the couch. He would lean into my ear from time to time asking me if everything was alright. I lied, saying I was fine. 

"I'm kinda hungry." Jack said, rubbing his nonexisitant belly. 

"Want me to order some chinese?" 

The group nodded and started bombarding Zack with there orders, making me silently laugh. 

"Want anything?" He turned his head, looking at me. I felt my body start to melt, he looked beyond cute at that moment. I just smiled, trying to not make a fool of myself. 

"I'm fine. Thanks, though."

"You sure?"

"Mhm." I smiled, leaning into his big arms. I felt content.

About a half and hour later, we heard a knock at the door. My chest started to pound, my breathing became harder. My eyes struck towards the door, not taking it out of my sight. I guess Zack noticed my tenseness. He put his arm around me, quickly. He started to rub his hands on my shoulder. Thankfully, no one else noticed. 

"Shh-shh. It's just the delivery man." He whispered into my ear.  I began to blink my eyes, regaining control of myself. I really needed to get my mind off of Shane everytime I heard a thump outside my home. 

I watched the back of Zack's body walk towards the door. I heard some chatter and the door closing. Everyone rushed into the kitchen, Cassadee the last one going in. She looked at me with a soft smile.

"You coming?" She asked, politely.

I smiled back. "I didn't order anything. You go ahead."

I watched as she turned on her heel and dissappeared into the kitchen, where I heard all the styrofoam containers rubbing against each other. I heard the voices of the four guys in my kitchen and the scattered footsteps.  

I sat on the couch, just thinking about Zack. There were moments where Shane popped up into my head. I got up, deciding to go into my bedroom. I didn't want to mope around with Zack's friends here. I didn't want Zack or anyone to see me upset. I didn't want anyone to worry about me. I got up and headed towards the stairs. As I was on the second stair, I heard Zack.

"Where you going?"

I turned my head to see him, lookin up at me. I saw a figure of someone near the kitchen entrance. I didn't really catch who it was.

"Um, I don't really feel good. I'm just gonna lay down." I smiled.  I saw his face drop a little. 

"Alright. Call me if you need anything." I saw him stuggling to lift the corners of his mouth up. I look down as I began walking up the steps. I opened my bedroom door and plopped on my bed, crawling underneath the covers.  

I laid in my silent room, staring at the ceiling. All I heard was my heartbeat that was beating off of my pillow. I heard the faint voices coming from downstairs. 

My mind kept going to Zack leaving in a week. I don't know why but I was more upset than I thought I'd be. I haven't known Zack for so long, but I feel like I've know him for years. Zack isn't the typical guy. He's everything any girl could ever ask for. He's super sweet and a total babe. I don't know why he's still single. 

I tossed and turned in my bed, getting tangled in the sheets. 

*Knock-Knock*

I jumped, as the knocking scared me. I turned over in my bed, looking at the door. 

"Kendra? Can I come in?" I heard her dainty voice. I knew it was Cassadee. 

"Yeah, come on in." I said back to her, adjusting myself on the bed. I sat upwards leaning my back against the wall. We smiled at each other as she walked in. 

"What's up?" I asked. She shrugged. 

"Nothing. I just got tired of the boys. I hope I'm not disturbing you, am I?" 

"No, no. Your fine. You can sit." I said, motioning towards the bed. She sat near the foot of the bed, and criss-crossed her legs. We sat in a bit of awkward silence. I saw her looking around my room.

"So, you feelin' any better?"

"Huh?"

 She tilted her head to the side, making her brown hair fall over her shoulder. 
"Uh, downstairs? You said you weren't feeling good.." 

"Ohh." I began to panic, trying to think of anything I could say and not blurp out that I was dreading Zack leaving. "I feel alright, just tired." I smirked, hoping she'd be as gullible as Zack. 

She nodded her head and looked at me. Seconds later, she broke the silence. 
"Alright, c'mon! I know something's really bothering you."

"Uh- what? What?" I said, getting caught off guard. Damnit, I thought to myself.

"I know your faking. Tell me what's wrong?" 

"I don't know what you're talking about?" I said, looking away from her.

She started to laugh. "Seriously. What is it? Is it...Zack?" She asked, but her voice dropped as she said his name.

I shrugged my arms, staying silent. I put on a fake smile and started to shake my head. The smile flew off my face. 

"I'm- I'm fine.." 

"...And?" 

"And I don't know..."  I paused.  "..I guess I am upset about Zack leaving." I blurted.  I was scared to look at her. I was scared she'd laugh in my face or something. I barely knew this girl and I was already telling her my problems. 

She moved closer to me and gave me a light hug. 

"It's okay, girl. You don't have to hide it. When Rian and I left each other, I was devastated. I know what you're going through." 

"I don't know. I never have been in this kind of situation. Zack and I aren't even-." I paused myself before I said anymore. Zack and I just met, I didn't want to ruin or say something wrong. 

She gave me a wierd look, like I was talking crazy or something.  "It's normal. You can text and call him everyday. It'll be like he didn't even leave. Hah!" 

I felt myself smile and chuckle a little. I saw her looking around my room. 

"Aww! Is this your boyfriend?" She chirped, getting up towards my dresser. She picked up a picture frame of Shane and I. I choked up on some air before I spoke. 

"Oh, no. That was my best friend." I softly spoke, not noticing that I said 'was.'

"Oh. What happened, if you don't mind me asking?" She sat back down on the bed, exactly like before except she sat closer to me. 

"Uh, just stuff. Heh." I said, with a tiny laugh at the end. I slowly started looking down, playing with the edge of my blanket. I hesitated to tell her, but something in me just let everything spill out to her. Everything from; becoming best friends to the whole scene that happened a few nights ago. I also told her how an emotional wreck I've become. I watched as her eyes grew wide. Her mouth was in a shape of an 'O'. 

"You probably think I'm crazy.." I spoke, looking down. 

"No, I think Shane's crazy." She said, with a comforting smile.  "Listen, when Zack's gone you can always call me. I'll probably be bored as hell." She smiled. I laughed and nodded. 

"Thank you." I said, pulling her into a hug. Right as I hugged her, I saw the door open. Zack stood there smiling. He had a bowl in his hand. 

"Hey ladies." He chuckled. I saw Cassadee roll her eyes, making me laugh. 

For some reason, after talking to Cassadee, I felt much better about Zack leaving.