A Step Closer

I tightened my grip on the crumbled piece of paper that held inbetween my fingers. My breathing quickened. I could hear the rush of my heartbeat up to my ears. 

"Zack? Zack..?" I heard a voice.

I looked up, facing Jack.

"You alright, man?"

I shook my head. I lifted my hand up that held the paper.

"What? What is that?" Jack looked down and began to read. His eyes grew big and started to yell for Joe.

I heard a herd of running foot steps. Everyone one, including the dog, surrounded the kitchen.

"What happened!" Joe said, coming towards me. 

I couldn't say anything, I just lifted my hands. I was beyond shocked and pretty angry. How could Shane do something like this especially, to someone like Kendra?

"Oh my god." I heard Aunt Macy cry.

I saw the K9 leader, grab the dog and let it sniff the paper. He put it into a sterlie plastic bag and zipped it up.  Joe rummaged through the kitchen some more, while the K9 Unit disappeared in the house sniffing, trying to find evidence. 

I walked towards the couch and sat down, thinking. A part of me wanted to be severly angry towards Shane. The other part just wanted to break down. Reading that note just made me think of what situation Kendra was in right now. I gritted my teeth. A tear broke loose as I balled up my fist. 

Hours later, I stayed in the same position. I didn't even lift my head, I just looked down at the carpet. I saw the feet of everyone, walking around the house in my peripherals. Joe and the K9 Unit wrapped everything up. They didn't really find much, other than the note I found in the trash. They said they were going to the department to evaluate everything. I thanked them and prayed my hardest for something useful to come back.

It was near dark, now. Everyone went back to Cassadee's home. I couldn't stay at that house, I just couldn't. Aunt Macy and Robert went home. Jack had to go. It was just Alex, Rian, Cassadee and I. Alex fell asleep on the couch. Rian went to go run some quick errands. Cassadee and I sat at the table, drinking coffee.

We didn't say much, we both had a lot on our minds.  

"You should get some sleep.." Cassadee spoke, softly. I hadn't noticed, she was already in her pajamas. I realized it was already night time. The stars barely sparkled as I looked up.

I turned to look at Cassadee, her face was pale and her eyes were sunken in. I nodded towards her and tried to smile, but that was impossible. I just watched her go up the stairs into her bedroom. 

I paced back and forth in the kitchen. I walked into the living room, deciding to take a nap on the recliner. I rested my head, thinking of Kendra. I looked up at the ceiling, seeing visions of the beautiful brunette. I smiled as I remembered our little date at Starbucks. I felt my eyes water as I remember that little girl asking if she was my girlfriend. My smile soon turned into a frown. I felt lost and numb. I just wanted Kendra back. 

The next morning...

I awoken, Rian was setting breakfast out on the table. I looked over to my left, Alex was still dead asleep. I quietly walked over, getting another cup of coffee. 

"You really should get something to eat, Zack." Rian said, pointing at the plate of bacon and eggs with the spatula in his hand. I shrugged my shoulders. Lately, I haven't been eating anything. I wasn't starving myself, I just didn't have the appetite.  

I sat, drinking my coffee. I heard the murmurs of the three in the kitchen.

My phone began to ring. Aunt Macy.

"Hello?"

"...Zack?" I heard Aunt Macy. I knew she was crying, you heard the little sniffs and whimpers.

I put down my mug, and sat up more straight knowing something was up.

"Yeah?"

"Joe calle--" She began to cry even more. I placed my palm over my face, applying a little pressure to my forehead. I waited for her to continue.

"It's nothing. They found-,"     She paused, letting out a cry.   "Nothing, Zack."

I balled my fist up, those were the words I dreaded to hear. I let out a sigh. I shook my head. I was drawing a blank. I was stuck at a dead end. 

"What are we going to do, Zack?" I heard her voice, snapping me back to reality. 

I shut my eyes, "I don't know. We're gonna work damn hard, though." I said. 

There was a pause between us, until I told her had I had to go. I placed my phone back into my pocket. I thought of different possibilites.   This was it. I had to work my ass off for Kendra to be back. I wasn't going to stop until I found her. I needed her. 

Getting another K9 unti? I thought to myself. No. Calling the police? If the K9 unit found nothing, what use would the cops be? 

I shrugged my shoulders and leaned back into the chair. I just thought of Shane and how he would even get into our home. I shivered at the thought of him being in the house when Kendra and I were in it. I grabbed my car keys and started to drive towards the house. 

I unbuckled my seat belt and began to walk around the house. I tried to see if there was any damage to it, to see if there was any forcible damage. Nope, nothing. I tried to see if I could somehow open the locked doors. That was a no. I examined the windows to see if any possible evidence could be seen. There was none. I looked up towards Kendra's window. It was way too high for anyone to even reach. Nothing. 

I opened the home, shivering again. I examined everything on the inside. Nothing. I walked upstairs to my room. Everything looked normal. I checked the windows, they were locked. I tried to see if you could still open it, nope. Everything seemed to look just right. I walked towards Kendra's room. I stopped in the doorway, my breathing paused for a bit. I shut my eyes, telling myself that it was for her. I trudged my way inside her room, examining every little inch. 

I walked towards her window. I went to go lift it open, my heart skipped a beat. The window opened as I pushed it up. I pushed it back down, making sure the locks on it were secure. It still opened. I examined the  entire window. The locks on it were most definatley broken, forcibly. I looked at the window screen, the tabs on it were broke. Someone placed it against the window pane, not attached or anything. I knew the trick, I used to do it when I used to sneak out of my parents house. I let out a long breath. I placed my palms on the window sill, leaning against it. I shut my eyes, trying not to think of Shane. The sight of him would just piss me off even more, that I wouldn't focus on getting Kendra back. I let out another breath and opened my eyes. 

Something blonde, caught my eye. I began to focus harder on the strand of hair that was on the window pane. I grabbed the hair and looked at it closer. It was very blonde, and short. I grabbed a kleenex from the bathroom and placed the blonde hair on it. 

It was most definatley not Kendra's. She had long brown hair. It wasn't mines, either. I don't think I've ever been this close to her window anyway. It wasn't Cassadee's or Aunt Macy's. They both had brown hair. Rian had too short of hair to even be seen, plus his hair is brown. Jack's hair is black. Alex had blondish hair, but it was longer than this. I don't even think Alex would be a suspect. 

I got into my car, thinking as I drove towards Cassadee's home. 

I tried to remember what Shane looked like, and what color hair he had. My eyebrows furrowed as I remembered clearly, that he had shaggy brown hair. I was beyond confused at this point. Who in the world would be in Kendra's room, that was blonde. 

Maybe, she was with another guy, I thought to myself. I felt my hands tighten on the wheel, thinking about Kendra with another guy. 

I pulled up to Cassadee's and walked inside. I walked into Cassadee's room, finding her sitting on the bed with her laptop. 

"Zack?" She said, looking up at me. 

"Cassadee, is Kendra seeing someone? Or was she seeing someone?" I gritted my teeth, waiting for the answer. 

"What?" She furrowed her eyebrows.  "No, she didn't say anything about anyone. Why are you asking something like that, at a time like this?" 

I told Cassadee how I went to go check out the house. I told her that I found that blonde strand of hair. I felt my blood pump through my veins. I felt myself get antsy. I ran my hand through my hair, waiting for Cassadee to say something. She sat on the bed, wide-eyed. She was pretty speechless. I knew she didn't know what to say. 

She began to shake her head, "I don't even think Kendra hangs out with any blondes." She spoke, confused. 

Cassadee and I walked down the stairs, getting another cup of coffee. We sat and just thought of who this blonde may be. We heard the front door open and close. Jack came walking through and waved at us. He walked into the living room. We heard Alex and Jack talk, faintly. I heard Jack ask what was up about the Kendra situation. 

They walked into the kitchen, and sat on the counter. 

"Soo, anything new?" Alex began. 

I looked over to Cassadee, hoping she'd get the message. She gave me an understanding smile and proceeded to update Alex and Jack what was happening. In the middle of her talking, Rian came in and was told everything that happened. 

"Wow." Was all that Jack said. 

I nodded. "Yeah." 

There was a silence in the house. Everyone sat, just taking in the news. 

"Do you guys know anything about a blonde?" I asked my three best friends, hoping I'd get an answer. 

Rian shook his head and shrugged his shoulders.  "I'm drawing a blank, man." He said, playing with the hem of his shirt. 

Alex didn't have an answer. Jack just shrugged. Silence took over again. 

I gripped the back of my neck, trying to ease the stress. But honestly, I don't think even think the president has ever been this close to even being how stressed out I am.  

"I swear, it wasn't me." Alex tried to joke. Jack let out a laugh. Cassadee gave him a dirty look. 

"What? Zack is ten times bigger than me." Alex defended himself.    I saw him look at me, a little scared. Everyone began to laugh. I let out a little laugh, realizing that was the first time I've smiled in a week. Jack and Alex began to crack some jokes, trying to lighten the mood.

"No, no. It's probably the blonde mailman's strand of hair." Jack laughed. 

"What? Why would the mailman be doing Shane's dirty work?" Alex retorted. 

The smiled disappeared from my face. I stared at Jack and Alex, bickering. I played the words Alex had just said, over and over in my head. I pushed my eyebrows together. Everyone was giggling, but turned serious as they looked at me. 

"Jack, Alex." I said, walking towards them. "My boys!" I smiled, lightly slapping their cheeks. In my mind, I was praying that this was the solution to getting Kendra back.

I looked around, seeing everyone pretty confused. 

I turned on my heels, and went into my car. I started it up and drove to Aunt Macy's house. I sped, being too eager. I wanted nothing but to see Kendra. 

I just kept thinking over and over in my head. If Shane was still in jail but still kept putting notes in our house, someone else has to be involved. I just knew it, I had that feeling in my gut. I put the car in park and ran towards Aunt Macy's front door. 

After two big knocks, I saw Aunt Macy's face. Her eyes red and her face was sunken and pale.

"Zack?" I saw the glint of hope in her eyes.  

I zoomed right past her, and paced back and forth in the living room.

"Aunt Macy, I need answers!" I paused and looked at her. She didn't say anything, she just nodded. 

"Shane has brown hair, correct?"

She nodded in response.

"And he didn't break out of jail, right?"

"Yes, that's correct."

"There's no way he dyed his hair, right?"

"He was in jail, Zack. I don't think so." 

I paced back and forth, faster. I stared at the ground, trying to place the pieces together.

"Call his mom." I said, looking into her eyes.

I saw her about to hesitate, but she didn't. She pulled her phone out and began to dial. She put her on speaker and placed it on the table. I grabbed a pen and paper and waited for her to answer. I motioned Aunt Macy just to go along.  I wrote down the questions to ask Shane's mom. 

I wrote down two questions, what jail was Shane in and how did Shane get out of jail.

As another voice filled the room, Aunt Macy began to talk to her in a normal conversation, just like any other day. Shane's mother seemed so caring by the way she talked. 

"Oh Macy, I don't even know what has gotten into Shane. I don't know where he is. I am sorry for all the stuff he has put your family through."  

I heard her begin to cry. 

"If it were up to me, Shane would still be in jail." She added, through the phone. I looked away at the phone, and saw Aunt Macy's eyes water. 

It blew my mind that Shane came from a mother like her. I didn't expect someone like Shane to have come from such a well behaved family. I heard Aunt Macy begin to talk to her more, and ask her those questions.

"How did Shane even get out of jail?" She asked Shane's mom.

I heard his mother sigh, before she answered.    "Well, one of his friends bailed him out at. I don't even know the guy. Shane's only known him for a month or two." 

I furrowed my eyebrows, wanting to hear more. I grabbed the paper and wrote down the question: what is his friend's name and if we can get a hold of him. Aunt Macy nodded, I saw the determination in her eyes. I knew she wanted nothing but to have her niece back. 

"Who is the guy, do you know?"

"Uh, all I know is that he's really tall and has blonde hair. His name is Riley. I met him once and he didn't he say hi or anything." 

"Do you have his number?" 

"Oh, no. I don't know much about him. I'm so sorry, Macy. I want to help out as much as I can with Kendra missing and everything." 

Before I knew it, Aunt Macy hung up the phone. 

We didn't say anything. I just leaned down and hugged her. We both pretty much needed it. Aunt Macy pushed the paper closer to me. 

It read: the location of the jail and Riley, Shane's blonde friend. 

I couldn't wait till morning. I got into my car and drove towards the jail that once held Shane. I asked the lady about Shane and the Riley guy but she turned me down. She couldn't give out that kind of information. 

I called Aunt Macy and told her everything. Robert called up Joe and got everything situated. I drove back to Aunt Macy's. We just sat around hoping that Joe would show up any minute. He said since it was getting late, it would either be a couple hours or until the next morning to find anything. We prayed that it would only take an hour or two.

 About four and a half hours later, everyone showed up at Aunt Macy's house. Rian and Cassadee fell asleep on the couch. Jack was eating in the kitchen. Alex sat on the couch watching television with Robert and Macy. I sat at the window, hoping I'd see Joe's car pull up. 

I shut my eyes, feeling a bit sleepy. I jumped when I heard a car door. Joe was walking up with a brief case. I ran towards the door and flung it open. I heard shuffling behind me, probably everyone getting up and seeing who was at the door.

"Joe!" I yelled, yanking him inside. 

We sat around the table, his files and papers scattered.

"Did you find anything?" Aunt Macy pleaded.  

Joe nodded and took the files out.

Aunt Macy grabbed it but looked at me. She shook her head and pushed it towards me. I grabbed the file and opened it.

It showed the mug shot of Shane, he still had his brown hair. It showed all the information of Shane and said he was being diagnosed for insanity and bipolar. My heart beated so fast, hoping that Kendra was okay. 

Underneath that, it provided information for the bail out. It had Riley's name and his address.  

My heart raced and palms became sweaty.  

"What's it say, Zack?" I heard everyone whisper.

I slowly looked up at Joe who was staring, intently at me. A tiny smile crept upon my face. I placed the papers on the table infront of me. Everyone leaned down and read the paper. I saw their expressions change into suprised ones. 

I felt somewhat happy and relieved but still kind of angered. I punched in Riley's address and was about to walk out the door.  

I felt Alex pull my arm.  "Woah, where are you going?"

I knew he knew what I was about to do.

"I'm going to find this Riley kid."

"Uh, no you're not, Zack. It's almost 2 in the morning."

"Alex.." I started, but he cut me off.

"Zack, just sleep it over. We'll go first thing in the morning."

I shook my head,   "Alex, I'm going."  I yelled, sternly.

He caught my arm as I turned around.

"Zack just think it over, man."

I quickly turned on my heels.   "Alex, if this was your girl, you'd be doing the same thing. You know how much Kendra means to me. I need her more than ever right now. Alex, I'm going whether you like it or not."

I turned on my heels and walked out the door. I got into my car and was about to pull away but I saw Alex reaching for the door. He got in and just smirked. I rolled my eyes and lightly punched him in the arm. 

I laughed as I saw him squirm and rub his arm.

"You need to hit the gym, man." I laughed. 

"And you need to lay off the steroids." Alex joked.

I rolled my eyes and drove towards the house.  

____________________________________________
Soooo, sorrrryyyy about the looooooong wait. Butttt here's the new update/chapp! :)
I'm really sorry that this chap was kind've a drag. I wasn't really good at writing this chap. And I tried to put some funny stuff in to try and lighten the mood. I ended on a good note. :) Don't worry next chap willl be veryy eventful. :)  Vote my loves <3 thankss for readding :) Sorry if it sucked.