Chapter Fourteen

Shadedoak watched her kits go, a sad smile on her face. She shook out her pelt with a sigh, turning to her other two kits. 

"You ready?" She asked them. 

 Nightkit bounced up, "Of course! We've waited forever to be apprentices!" 

 Bluespark chuckled, "I was far more impatient than you two ever were. How many times did try to I sneak out of camp?" She looked over at her mother, grinning. 

 Shadedoak tilted her head, thinking, "Uh...close to ten times I think. Maybe more. Although you were caught most of those times." 

 "Yeah, I wasn't very good at sneaking around, and I'm still not good at it. Most of the time anyways. Pinekit is much better at that than I am," The blue gray and white she-cat grinned. She glanced over to where Honeystar was waiting for the Clan to gather, "Come on, let's go find a place to sit, you two." She ushered her kin over to a spot, while her mother took her place near Honeystar. 

 Honeystar padded forward, "the time has come for the making of new apprentices. Willowkit and Nightkit, step forward." 

 "Go on," Bluespark nudged her shyer sister forward, urging her to follow her brother. The silver kit padded forward, joining her brother, nervous excitement in her gaze. 

 "Do you promise to learn to defend your Clan?" She asked them. 

 "Yes," they replied in unison. "Then from this day forward you will be known as Willowpaw and Nightpaw. Nightpaw, your mentor will be Flowerheart. Willowpaw, your mentor will be Twigstem. May you pass all your skills to these apprentices." Shadedoak sat up straight, gazing at her kits with pride in her gaze as the Clan chanted their names, "Nightpaw! Willowpaw!" 

 Two moons later

 Shadedoak followed her Clan out of the Gathering place, then suddenly paused, catching an unknown scent. 

Willowpaw glanced over, "Who's that? They don't smell like anyone here."

The small warrior squeaked as someone pounced on her, she swiftly threw them off, raising a paw, claws unsheathed, then stopped, "Darkfrost?" 

Her Clanmates watched her with suspicion, like they had been doing for quite awhile. 

 The tom jumped up, shaking out his rumpled pelt, licking a shallow scratch on his shoulder, "Sheesh, you didn't have to claw me, Shadedoak." 

 She winced, then half-glared at him, "Sorry, but that's what you get when you sneak up on me. What are you even doing here? You should be at SkyClan. You also know better than to cross into another Clans territory." 

 "Shadedoak, do you know this cat?" Honeystar stepped forward with slightly narrowed eyes. 

"Yes. This mouse brain, who knows better than to sneak up on me when I can't scent him, is my brother, Darkfrost," She cuffed him over the ear in a scolding manner. 

Burnttalon, who had been walking back with his Clan, had glanced back to see the commotion. He narrowed his eyes at Darkfrost. 

Shadedoak retaliated by glaring at him as she moved in front of her brother, "What are you looking at, fox heart?" 

 Darkfrost noticed, snorting, "Ignore him, Shadedoak. We're both supposed to be explaining ourselves, remember?" 

 His sister scoffed, then turned back, "I'll explain why I hate him so much later."