Chapter 19

"What are you doing?"

I blinked. I strained my ethereal self to look beyond Death and then I saw him.

"Fin? Gabriel Finien?" I stared in shock. Has Death already taken him? Was I too late?

I turned hastily to look Death questioningly in his eyes. But he only shook his head.

I sighed in relief. It hasn't happened yet but that doesn't mean it won't soon happen. I stared at Fin unhappily. I was so messing this up.

"I am trying to save you," I muttered unhappily.

Fin sighed and then moved forward closer to me.  I watched him sink to his haunches beside me.

"I can see that," he said sarcastically. I frowned. I so didn't need this. It was not my fault that neither god or the devil had a reasonable conscience. It was sad really.

I was glad the pain was gone for now I could focus on Fin's magnificent face. I stared at him silently as he did me. Then I realised I had not exhausted all my options. I still had one last try.

"My dear Death," I said to him. His cloak shrouded face turned to mine. I gazed at the eternal torment etched within his face right to the bone and offered the impossible.

I knew the legend well you see. I learnt it from mother herself. I knew that the only way Death could attain peace was to be rid of his cloak. I knew too that the only way he could do that is if someone voluntarily took it from him. I thought it fitting justice that I be that person. Was it not the daughters responsibility to right the wrongs of her mother. I would take his cloak and in return he would spare our lives. For only the living could wear his cloak. I will have him spare Fin as a gift.

Death whipped his attention back to me. I stared into the black pits where his eyes once were. For as soon as the thought crystalised in my mind he had known of it.

"Do you accept?" I said with a shaky voice. He stared hard at me then slowly nodded his head. The cloak left his shoulders instantly revealing his rotting carcass. I watched unflinchingly as it flew towards me.

"Nooo!" Cried Fin as realisation dawned over what was happening.

But he was too late. The decision has been made and accepted. Then I was busy screaming as the vicious cloak draped itself around me. The pain was excruciating at first but as my skin was swiftly eaten off the pain lessened. I opened my eyes slowly.

I realised I was back in my body in hell. Fin sat crouched before me alive and well. I grinned up at him. Knowing I looked a horrible mess of flesh and blood.

"You so owe me big time," I said to him simply.

I stared at the tears pouring down his face in surprise.

"I owe you my life. I am yours to command," he whispered softly but surely.

I stared at him in awe. My own personal angel. I beamed at him wider then chuckled as his tears started to gush out anew. I must look far worse than I thought.

"Help me up will you?"

He looked hesitantly at my bloody hand but then reached out anyway to grasp it. I was effortlessly hauled to my feet.

I turned then to catch sight of mother. She looked unnaturally subdued. It didn't suit her.

I braced myself against Fin. I would need to get hold of a staff of sorts if I was to stand on my feet alone at all.

"Mother," I said acknowledging her. "You don't need me any more. I could never be what you have hoped for me." I gestured at my selender frame now shrouded with the cloak. "No one would want to fuck with me now," I said simply then turned back to Fin.

"Could you take me away from here?  Not to school but to somewhere else," I asked croakily. My throat felt really dry. I think the cloak was eating into it. It sure explained why Death was always so silent but that didn't matter I wouldn't have anyone willing to talk to now anyway. I could almost laugh. Two thousand years of dodging mother's schemes and I finally found a way around it all.

I closed my eyes slowly enjoying my sight while it lasted. I doubted the cloak would let it last long. Then space and time shifted and I found myself in a mansion on a cliff. A mansion that would be my home for a while.

"Is this home?" I asked Fin.

He nodded. "Anything you wish. I will provide."

I smiled again. "Don't worry, Fin. I really am the low maintenance sort."

I shuffled on towards the balcony staring out at the wild swells of the ocean beneath.

"I too am yours to command," said a voice to my side. I turned slowly and gasped at the dark haired handsome stranger. I stared at his dark blue eyes and saw a river of pain so intense that I knew him to be a kindred. "Death? Is that really you?" I asked recognising him from the remnance of his pain. I knew the physical torture was gone but the memories are still there. It will always be there.