Chapter 7

"And here we have the library," said my guide, Leon. He walked briskly ahead leaving me to rush after him. I did so gleefully. I was beyond happy with the excitement of a new school but mostly the excitement of a new me.

The crowd of students were pouring in. All were oblivious to my presence. Not even a second glance thrown my way. I could not help the thrill I felt. The sense of freedom of being without scrutiny was amazing.

I peered into the classrooms and boarding rooms and followed after my errant guide as fast as I could. But I think I must not have been swift enough for I lost sight of him. Or he lost me.

I didn't care I wondered on my own. Peering past each closed doors as I went. It was the room at the very end that caught my attention. The medicinal smell was pungent and overwhelming. A sick room of sorts. I moved immediately to withdraw when the bed in the far corner caught my eye. It was a large bed. Too large for the occupant within. For it was occupied. If the slight form barely visible

beneath the sheets was any indication.

"Hello?" I called out to no response. I stared at the slight form. Its quiet stillness sent a pang of recognition through me. Loneliness.

The form covered in blankets spelled of loneliness. A vision that rang clearly and screamed in agitation calling out an answering pull without me. I recognised a kindred spirit. I felt its pain. Taking a step within the room I reached out for the occupant of that bed.

"What are you doing here?"

The voice behind me had me jolting back to present. I wrenched free my hand that had somehow found and touched the soft skin of the pale hand. I looked up urgently to catch sight of the pale face but I was wrenched back and out of the room. My heart wrung out as if torn from my chest.

I stood outside staring at the shut door and gasping for a breath. I stood there till my pounding heart recided and then till I heard my name called.

"Sara? Sara James?"

I turned to see a pretty blond calling my name.