Restless

Hero's POV

I'm lying in bed and I miss home. I've only been away for a day or so and I miss it already, that's one thing I hate about my job. The constant travelling and leaving behind Rachel and my family.

I toss and turn in the suddenly uncomfortable bed. I feel like my life is a snow globe, I was getting along fine, settled and unshaken. The past few months of my life someone came along and shook it hard, changing and jumbling up everything. Nothing has came back into place since then.

Rachel doesn't make me feel things that I think I should. She feels more like a close friend more than anything, the times in the past that I've tried to hint this she just changes the subject.

I turn to lie on my back and close my eyes forcing myself to try and sleep. I can hear a owl outside of my window, I can only focus on the low noises it's making. After a few second it leaves and I feel a lot more alone.

I groan and turn again so my face is buried in the pillow. It's an uncomfortable position so I again roll over. I get sick of the constant moving and stand up. I glare down at the double bed in-front of me, it was comfortable just last night. I'm obviously not going to be getting any sleep so I turn my phone back on. I have a few messages from my friends back home in London but they are asleep now because of the time zone so I don't bother replying yet.

I click onto mine and Rachel's chat and send her a message. "Hey, I can't sleep. You up?" I click send and wait to see the three little dots come onto the small screen. 10 seconds later and she's opened the message. She starts typing but then stops.

Leaving me on seen.

I feel like this is the last straw, I know that a left on read message is nothing but it's affecting me way more than it should be. I feel my whole body burn. Why am I over reacting so much.

I'm away from home and I want to talk to my own girlfriend and she's blatantly ignoring me. I'm tired of having a one sided relationship. I'm constantly there for her and reply to her messages as soon as I see hers. Maybe I'm just too whipped.

A few of my friends have said that in the past, I don't see it though. I guess you don't see things unless you are out of your own body.

I run my fingers through my hair and throw my phone onto the bed. I walk towards the door and slam it behind me. I'm aware that there is other people in the hotel that can probably hear my little outburst right now but I couldn't care.

I drag my feet down the hallway two doors down where she is staying. I stand outside the wooden door and raise my fist to it. For a split second my confidence falters and I want to drop my hand and run back to my room and keep myself company.

Before I can hold back anymore I quickly tap my knuckles against the hard wood. I hear the shuffling of someone on the other side of the door. I wait impatiently for the door to open. When it finally does I'm greeted by a smiley jo who's smile quickly drops. When she sees me.

She's got her hair in a messy loose bun, part of her hair is covering her eye and the back is hanging out in certain parts. I want to push her hair behind her ears to uncover her face but I can't. So instead I stare at her as she does so to herself

"Hero?" She says bringing me back. I look her up and down. She's wearing plain black and white shorts and a white sweater. My eyes drag down her legs and she glances down and places one leg in front of the other, trying to cover herself. Clearly uncomfortable . I tear my eyes of her and make eye contact with her for the first time since she left me in the hotel lobby.