Chapter Thirty-One

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. I'm so stupid. Fuckkkkkk.

       That was basically what was going through my mind as I saw Jack look between Matt and I, to our hands, then back up at me. 

       I think the panic started to sink into Matt's brain because his hands were sweating buckets (and yes, it was as gross as it sounds) and his face started to turn red. Not like an embarrassed red, but like a holy-shit-this-is-the-day-I-die kind of red. 

       Ryan let out a low whistle. "Well, this is awkward..." He murmured. And he was right. "I'm gonna go send nudes. See you all later." How charming. How did I ever let him slip through my fingers?

       And with that, he quickly skipped out of the room. Even when he was being nice before, he was still gonna be the usual asshole of a teenager. And I would never expect, or accept, anymore or any less from him.  

       I kind of wanted to skip out, too. 

       "I-I can explain-" Matt stammered. He's not very good at confrontation, as you can clearly tell.

       Jack gave him a slow nod and began to walk to the couch opposite of us, slowly taking a seat. He crossed one leg over the other and folded his arms, leaning back against the couch. He sighed and said, "Go on."

       Matt opened his mouth to speak, but I stopped him. I could feel his heart beating from where I sat and I didn't want him to have a heart attack.

       I squeezed Matt's hand. "I got this." I whispered to him before turning towards Jack, my eyes meeting his. "I choose Matt." I told him with confidence, but his face remained emotionless. "I'm so sorry of you're upset or mad at me for this... I know you're probably feeling rejected right now-"

       "Rejected?" Jack repeated, a dangerous chuckle following behind. "My last girlfriend broke up with me because she thought that I wasn't good enough. And now you don't want me because I'm not better than my own brother. How else am I supposed to feel? I'm not going to be fucking perfect and happy, so just forget that."

       I nodded. "Yes, I understand that-"

       Jack snorted. "No, you don't understand anything! You've never been treated like this! You've never been told you're not good enough as many times as I have." His neck and ears were turning a violent red, and he had leaned forward on the couch. "You've had six boys after you for the past months and you have the guts to tell me you understand? Don't lie to me. Don't fucking lie to me."

       Eric quickly entered the room and stood near Jack. "Hey, is everything good in here, I heard yelling?"

       "Yes, everything's fine." Jack growled in Eric's direction.

       Eric put a hand on his heart and looked at me with curiousity. "Geez, didn't need to use that voice, god damn." He strutted out the door with a huff.

       I was so thankful for Eric's little visit just then, though. Jack was getting pretty angry and I think Eric calmed him down a bit, to be honest. Thank god for the comic relief, huh?

       I bit my lip. "Okay, so maybe I don't fully understand what you're feeling." I admitted. "But there is no need to get so angry with me. I choose Matt over you and you're just going to have to deal with it because, like I told Ryan, you're not going to be able to change my mind."

       I just realized how many people I have confronted and fought with verbally since these games began. Damn, it was making me a better fighter... I'm felt kind of cool, to be completely honest.

       "Yeah, it's totally fine. I'm use to not being better than my brothers." He snapped. "You would get use to it, too. But you know; everyone just wants you."

       I sighed. "Stop," I said quietly. "This isn't like you..."

       Jack raised his eyebrows. "This isn't like me, huh? Then what am I like, Dianna? If you know so much about me. How should I be reacting? Honestly, what did you expect after you led me on like this?"

       I slowly shook my head, trying not to cry. "Just stop."

       Jack's voice raised. "You led me on. You made me think someone would actually like me! Why would you do that and then just run over to my brother? My own brother! I feel so betrayed and hurt, yes. And I think I have a right after-"

       "I love her." Matt shouted over Jack's booming voice after minutes of being silent. Jack stopped staring at me and shifted his eyes towards his brother. "I do. And I know that that may not be what you want to hear, but it's true. And yeah, she choose me over you. And I am sorry for that; I'm sorry that you just got out of a bad relationship and now this has happened. However, you can't stop us. I won't let you. I fucking love Dianna, and you're not going to get in the way of this." He took a deep breath. "Nobody is getting in the way of this."

       I just stared at Matt; it felt like he had lit my heart on fire. I never knew he... I just can't believe anybody would ever... wow.

       Jack stilled looked angry, however he nodded slowly, and licked his lips slowly. 

       Matt sighed. "You never wanted Dianna. You just wanted someone to choose you because you're hurt. But Jack, it's time to grow up and face the facts in front of you. Everything you are saying right now is not true and you know it." He growled at his brother; I've never seen Matt like this before. It was kind of... hot. "And I'm getting real sick and tired of you crying over nonsense. So how about you just give it up, huh? Stop making yourself look like an idiot and leave this room with at least a bit of dignity."

       Jack quickly rised from the couch and made his way towards the exit.

       "Say sorry, first." Matt yelled at his back. "Tell Dianna you're sorry for everything you just said."

       I watched as Jack took a deep breath, looked over his shoulder at me and mumbled, "Sorry." before stomping away.

       I saw Matt visibly relax and sigh, and I rubbed his back in hopes of comforting him. I knew all of that was hard for him to say, but I was insanely proud of him. He stood up to his brother and he did great. He didn't even stutter once!"

       Matt sloppily smiled at me. "That wen't better than planned." He joked.

       I grinned widely. "A lot." I added. "Man, you were so brave just then. I didn't know you were able to use that tone of voice on someone!"

       "I almost threw up." Matt admitted shamefully.

       I laughed loudly and shook my head, my eyes never leaving his own. "At least it's just you and me now." I raised my eyebrows.

       He wrapped his arms around my torso. "Thank god." He breathed into my shoulder.

       Sitting on this couch with Matt wrapped around me, I never felt so warm and protected. My skin felt so electric and I swear, I've never felt so alive in my life. You know that feeling when you begin to fall sleep and everything feels right and comfortable? That's what it felt like.

       I ran my fingers through Matt's hair and sighed. "I love you, too." I whispered. 

       And it felt right.

// author's note //

not sure how i feel about this chapter tbh...

but yeah so intense and crazy and love all around wowza

this story will soon be over :( only a few more chapters or so. just thanks for all your supporting so far guys, it means the world!

anyways, check out my new story three dumb guys :) love you all!!!

// author's note //