Chapter Twenty-Six

My leg shook fast, having it bent in a weird position on the coffee table. I was so nervous.

       Why did I agree to go on a date with Jack tonight? Was it the way he asked, and how his voice sounded so cute and excited? Was it because I just really missed him? Did I just want to give him a chance? Maybe I just liked the idea of dressing up and going to a fancy restaurant with a hot guy? Or maybe it was my teenage hormones raging extra hard that night?

       Whatever it was that made me say yes, I sure do regret it now. 

       "It'll be fine," Carrie assured me, running a soothing hand down my arm. She was curled up on the couch next me, and Jake was right beside her. "It's going to be great; it's Jack! You guys have hung out before!"

       Carrie instantly got so excited when she heard I was actually going to a fancy restaurant with Jack. She went through all my clothes to pick out just the right dress. She had to buy me new shoes because apparently light up sketchers weren't appropriate for this kind of date...

       Jake sighed and rolled his eyes. "Why are you so nervous!" He cried.

       I snapped my neck in his direction. "Because tonight could be the night that I decide whether or not I want to spend the rest of my life with him, that's why!" I screamed.

       Jake's eyes widened and he quickly broke eye contact with me. Hey, I can admit it; I can be pretty scary sometimes... You know, with my scary red hair, frightening freckles, short and slightly chubby body was so intimidating and my terrifying baby face. How can you not be scared of me?

       But in all honesty, I didn't know why I was so nervous. Carrie was right; I've hung out with Jack alone before, even before I knew he was in a relationship. I don't know why now is any different... 

       Maybe it's because this feels more offical. Like, this isn't just a little thing where I need help studying or he needed to tell me something... This is an actual date. A real, really real date with Jack. And I was fucking nervous.

       "Okay, I don't think it's that important..." Carrie mumbled.

       The sound of a car horn sounded loudly from outside, making me jump.

       I felt all the air escape from my lungs. "Shit, that's him." I whispered.

       Carrie pushed on my arm lightly. "Go on!" She said as I slowly stood up. "Your maybe-prince charming is waiting for you out there!"

       I gingerly (no pun) made my towards the front door, seeing his car's headlights shining through the window. I must have looked pretty nervous because I heard Carrie whisper something quickly to Jake, who in turn yelled out to me, "Don't have sex!"

       What a lame joke to try and calm me down.

       I just flashed him my middle finger and walked out into the driveway. 

***

       "Oh my god," I whisper-screamed, staring wide eyed at the place we were eating dinner in.

       It was huge. Like, hotel ball room huge. About a million little circle tables were piled into the room, like in those movies. It smelled amazing; like all your favorite food. Waitors and Waitresses were walking around in their black and white uniforms, carrying food to the tables. There was smooth jazz playing in the background; I can only imagine what he bathrooms look like. Everyone was dressed amazingly, and it even had that dimmed lightly where you could barely see anything! Even the name of the restaurant was in French! So fancy!