Chapter Twenty-Three

If I thought this dinner had been awkward before, it sure as hell was now.

       Jack had decided to join us at the dinner table again, his mood having changed considerably. So now I was sitting next to Jack, whom I've just kissed with his family eating unaware of this in the same building, and Matt sitting across from me, completely oblivious to the events that had happened earlier. 

       And plus me, being the anxiey-prone scaredy cat that I am, was practically pissing herself over here with a mixture of guilt, shame, and confusion. If I hadn't already peed earlier, I'm sure I would be now. 

       I felt like I couldn't make eye contact with Matt. When he offered me some more cake, I just snatched it from him with a mumble that was supposed to be my thanks. Wow, way to be a trooper, Dianna.

       But why would I feel guilty? I'm not dating Matt, so it's not like I'm cheating on him. Sure, we've been on a few dates and we've kissed/sort of made out, but that does not mean I belong to him. He's not my boyfriend, I'm not his girlfriend; so why was I so freaking nervous?

       Maybe because I knew if Matt found out about me and Jack, he'd be completely heartbroken (or at least I think he would be...)

       But what even was Jack and I? We hung out a few times and we've kissed. Big deal. That doesn't really say much for our 'relationship' anyways. Plus, he'd just broken up with his girlfriend of who-knows-how-long. I might just be a rebound! Or maybe this was Jack's plan all along to get into my pants. Oh, that sneaky motherfucker...

       Hell, maybe both of these boys are trying to get into my pants. Yeah, Jack has expressed his feelings towards the games numerous of times, and Matt has said how he does not think of me as a piece in these games. But who is to say that they're telling the truth? How can I truely trust these guys?

       "Dianna?" Mrs. Henderson asked, snapping me out of my thoughts. "Would you like some more?"

       I glanced down at my empty plate before me, not realizing I had finished another plate. 

       I shook my head quickly. "No thank you," I mumbled. But truth be told, I could've eaten five more plates of that shit.

       Eric leaned close to my ear. "The reason mom asked if you wanted more is because you've been nibbling on your fork for the past five minutes," He whispered quietly. It took little to no time for the blush to creep it's way onto my cheeks.

       Mr. Henderson clapped his hands together. "Well, that was a wonderful meal!" He cried, smiles everywhere. "And thank you for joining us this evening, Dianna. It's been... wonderful."

       I made a small smile and a slight head nod. "Thank you for having me." I said the cliche line with a slightly squeak and awkward voice, which I must be horribly famous for by now.

       Mrs. Henderson giggled. "No problem, sweetie!" She said happily, standing up from her chair and brushing off her dress. "You were a pleasure to have!"

       Mr. Henderson walked behind me and laid his hand on his shoulder, squeezing it slightly. I instantly tensed up at the sudden contact, not daring to move a muscle. I'm way too antisocial to be in public...

       "You can come here anytime you'd like!" He said cheerfully.

       And with that, they left just as quickly as the had come. I sat there motionless for a few moments after they had left. They didn't even technically say goodbye.

       Richard sighed and slouched back in his seat. "Well," He said loudly with raised eyebrows. "That went by smoothly."

       Eric nodded. "Awh, yes." He agreed with a sarcastic tone. "I think it was amazingly smooth when you and Ryan proceeded to fight over a potato. So smooth."