Chapter 4 : His Secret

Third Person POV-

Another year and yet another birthday for the growing princess.

She is laying down on the sofa floating Wolfy above her, making him do somersaults as she is exhausted from opening all her birthday presents.

"She will not leave that stupid animal alone. Freya had to magically clean it a few times because Hope wouldn't let go of it long enough to be dry cleaned." Hayley moans irritably at the sight of the spinning soft toy.

"And by dry cleaned you mean throw it in the bin. I don't know what problem you have. It's pretty harmless and she will grow out of it. Your whingeing is pointless." Rebekah remarks at the petty jealousy.

"Well I'm so excited to see what her secret admirer has brought her this year." Kol butts into the conversation mischievously trying to rile Hayley up more.

"Well I have vampires stationed around the entire building and monitoring the door. We will know who it is that has been sending them soon enough. That is, if there's a gift this year." Klaus tries to sway Hayley away from an outburst and glares daggers at Kol for his childish behaviour, receiving a tongue being poked out his mouth from his younger brother.

The door knocked the same time as the previous years and Klaus vamped over, opening the door. He picked the gift up and the nearby vampires on duty mentioned that the present literally popped up. No one is there. Growling in frustration, he storms back into the house, pushing the problem to the back of his mind to deal with later on.

He sits his beautiful princess on his lap as he opens the box. Everyone seemed surprised at his actions, Klaus beginning to trust whoever sent the present would not harm his little girl. It was the last line of the letters that slowly began to convince him.

Hope takes out a children's art set and Klaus smiled at her enthusiasm of having her own set to play with. Many times has he come back home from a meeting to see the little treasure in his studio with oil paints opened and splattered everywhere.

Miss Hope Mikaelson,

Four already, time is flying by! Your father is a complex man who will deny ever feeling anything given the chance. Hint, they are in his art instead.

"I dream my painting, and then paint my dream."

-Vincent Van Gogh.

"Art is not what you see, but what you make others see."

-Edgar Degas.

"Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable."

-Cesar Cruz.

All my love.

"Niklaus showing emotions and his art? Ludicrous!" Elijah comments on the letter. "Klaus never shows art to anyone, even family."

The Originals weren't much for reading into art, especially the men.

They had always known Niklaus was talented on the subject from their human days, stealing a few parchment papers off their mother to sketch the scenery and hiding them from Mikael and his harsh parenting.

Vampirism conceals his passion off from sharing meaningful paintings and drawings. It has always bored Rebekah and Kol would rather feed on the artist out of his own boredom to notice what they were painting. Elijah has his favourites but it has always been Niklaus who loved the arts the most.

Klaus and Hope spends a few hours after her lunch party doodling and painting before he spent the rest of the evening after putting Hope to bed recapturing the moment in his studio.

Reflecting on the day's events, Klaus couldn't help but think Elijah was wrong. No one knew that he opened up his studio along with his heart to someone in the past. He is thankful that he had kept her a secret, his enemies could not find out about the vampire who stole his heart and opened him up to the notion of love. His family thought that his daughter was the one to bring some humanity to him, and while she was a part of it, she wasn't the only person. But he is certainly not going to correct them.

He opens a secret panel on his wall that only he knows of, taking out a worn sketchbook. Slowly flicking through the pages of his cherished memories, he soon picks up his pencil and begins to draw the image that simultaneously haunts his dreams and brings peace to his soul.