Chapter 17 : Processing Grief

Third Person POV-

All through Hope's life, Klaus has been seeking answers about his daughter and her abilities. However, most importantly, how to turn her and give her immortal life by becoming an Original without the need for doppelganger blood. This past year, he has been more dedicated to finding something other than the usual 'nothing can be done' and 'I'm sorry, there is no way for her to become an Original'. She can't turn other wolves into hybrids anymore with her blood or even by using her blood to complete the transition.

Other witches, and even Freya's research, has been simple. The only way is to cut her off from her wolf and witch nature by turning her into a vampire. That is, if she doesn't trigger her wolf gene. If she does, there will be no chance of her living eternally with him and his family.

Jackson's death hit the family hard. Eventually, the two men had come to an agreement in the past that the wolf wasn't trying to replace the hybrid in his daughter's life. Klaus ended up in a strange, but satisfying friendship with the wolf, and even if he didn't particularly care about Hayley's grief, he feels for Hope's devastation at losing a parent.

Klaus is terrified of losing his daughter, but Jackson dying shakes him and awake the fear of losing her as it starts to become a reality.

Hope has the same crippling fear in the wake of her step father's death, not for herself but for her mother. She hasn't really wrapped her mind around it all before. She's always known her family wouldn't and can't be killed.

Her mother is a werewolf like Jax, though.

The family is concerned with Hope's well being. She disconnects herself from the outside world in mourning, and nothing and no one can get through to her. She is usually such a lively and passionate young woman, her silence and lack of enthusiasm for life knocks everyone off balance.

She can't even bring herself to be excited for her birthday, spending her time trying to dismiss the entire day. The family has no idea on how to pull her out of her funk without being insensitive to her grief.

The door knocks at its usual time on Hope's Birthday, Rebekah going out to retrieve the gift for her niece, while silently wishing that it will help.

Sighing heavily, Hope opens her present slowly. The package revealed a tiny, black jewellery box with a beautiful silver necklace. A silver wolf attached, she brings her shaking hands to stroke the wolf slowly, realising what the necklace is trying to resemble.

Everyone looks on at the scene with tears in their eyes at the very thoughtful gesture as Hope gains enough courage to read the letter out loud

Miss Hope Mikaelson,

"Butterflies hover and feathers appear, whenever lost loved ones or Angels are near."

- Unknown

Death and grief is inevitable for humans, and a curse to immortals. You will face death and grief in your life; be it a friend, ally, or a lover.

Don't blame yourself, and do not let grief consume you.

Moving on in life and being happy does not mean that their death doesn't affect you. You still care for those who have lost their lives, and you won't forget them.

Celebrate their life as you will hold their memory in your heart always.

All my love.

The letter and gift comforts Hope more than her parents ever could. She can't understand the connection she has to this person who she never met, nor know their name. She just knows they are looking out for her and keeping her balanced, safe and strong.

Hope wonders if it is the blonde angel the spirits showed her as a child, someone who looks very similar to a drawing she stole from her father's studio years ago. He still hadn't noticed.

Her father still avoids questions of his love life, his answer is always the same. Licking his lips briefly before the usual, ''Maybe one day, in a year or a century love will show up at my door.'' with a pained look before leaving the room and the conversation.

Klaus sees Hope clutch the letter as a lone tear fell from her eye, finally finding some comfort in her grief. He tries his best to help her, as does everyone one else, with no results. He's always known she has formed a bond, connection to the letters, but he finally understands how much she relies on them to keep her guided and grounded.

He finally understands Hayley's jealousy at the person who Hope finds more comfort with than her. He just hopes that they will never stop until she turns her attention away from them.