Chapter 3 : A Lesson In Languages

Third Person POV-

By Hope's third birthday, the Mikaelson family had the birthday routine down pat and they found themselves in the private family living room a few hours after breakfast, Hope finally finishing unwrapping all her new gifts.

New noisy and troublesome toys from Kol, a trust fund opened and cash deposits from Elijah and designer dresses shipped in from Paris courtesy of Rebekah. She had always let her thoughts be known over her niece being some kind of swamp princess and the many subtle digs at Hayley that she would absolutely not be dressed as one.

New Orleans had been peaceful for a while until the death of an omega werewolf by a drunken vampire that Marcel had claimed was not under the NOLA vampire kingdom, and went punished causing strain on the factions. The family agreed to celebrate Hope's birthday separately as not to ruin her big day.

Marcel turns up in the morning, carrying a few gifts under his arms. The family agreed on him being first to visit as he was part of the family and Hope's pseudo-older brother. One present he brought was mainly for Klaus, a bottle of good quality bourbon. The little princess is always spoiled by her aunts and uncles.

He is also curious to see Klaus' reaction if the little blonde gets another gift from her secret admirer. He is not disappointed as the door was suddenly knocked soon after he walked in.

Klaus, Kol and Rebekah flash to the living room doors. Kol just slipping through first and Rebekah trying to distract the Hybrid from getting through to the front door, which was obviously pre planned by the two siblings.

Klaus huffed back to his seat, slightly nervous, but he would not make that known. He wasn't sure if it was the secrecy of it all that set him on edge, or the way he secretly looked forward to the letters and the words of wisdom that would cut through to him. He settled for the former.

"Aww come on Nik. Don't pout because I'm faster than you. I must say though, these gifts better keep coming, I just love how you react to them!" Kol jests as he brings the pink (bigger this year) wrapped gift box onto the room as he ignores Klaus's growl of impatience.

The Hybrid opens the gift slowly, still not fully trusting whomever had sent the wrapped box to his daughter and was still very suspicious and cautious.

Queries had been made and a few demands had flew out of the residents mouths at Klaus' gasp once the lid was fully off the box. Everyone is eager to see inside.

A very old and ancient looking book emerged from the box along with a few aged and modern day books. There was a Latin language dictionary for beginners, Aramaic legends and tales with a section on how to learn the dead language, and Norse legends and mythology book written in the Mikaelsons' mother tongue and had been translated into English throughout the years. It was very ancient and extremely genuine, catching the interest of the family.

Elijah and Kol fought childishly over the book and soon settles by the nearest table, flicking through the books whilst Klaus fishes the attached letter to read aloud to the awaiting audience.

Miss Hope Mikaelson,

"Without language, one cannot talk to people and understand them; one cannot share their hopes and aspirations, grasp their history, appreciate their poetry, or savour their songs."

-Nelson Mandela.

"The conquest of learning is achieved through the knowledge of languages."

-Roger Bacon.

I hope you take care of these books gifted to you. They are very rare and valuable in knowledge and could probably teach your family a thing or too.

All my love.

The King of New Orleans is silent in his confusion. He is still utterly furious of the secrecy and the person having an unknown source have all this knowledge of his family, but there was also a spark of pride at the attempt to educate the ancient beings.

Something he has not felt since her. But he wouldn't think about her today. Not now.

"I must say that whomever sent this was spot on with the knowledge brother. There is sections in this book that we were not taught by Mother. There also seems like some strong unknown knowledge in the Aramaic book." Elijah comments, breaking and startling his younger sibling out of his thoughts.

A small subtle spread on his face.

"Who the hell do they think they are sending all this to our daughter? What are they trying to achieve?!" Hayley shot out of her seat and spat out, outraged.

"Maybe trying to educated your darling little princess in her heritage maybe." Kol jokes around trying to uplift the atmosphere after her outburst.

She is still jealous and annoyed that Hope would not leave Wolfy alone for more than a few minutes and the cuddly toy brought her more comfort than herself.

Glaring at Klaus as if it was all his fault for the gifts popping up at his house, she storms out of the room, mumbling about getting dressed for the afternoon's gathering.

Rebekah, Marcel and Freya read the letter, discussing the quotes used and were surprised that they agreed with Kol that the sender was obviously trying to teach the toddler languages that will not only help teach Norse heritage, but also the languages that witches tend to use.

Niklaus silently vowed to himself to find out who has been sending the gifts and to to keep a lookout the next year.