XIX

Stanford is large. Larger than I expected. I flew out last night for orientation.
"Name?" A man with curly jet black hair looks down at the roster.
"Claire Dyer," I speak and he looks up at me, staring for a bit too long before he looks back town at the roster.
"Right, got it. Looks like you're in my tour," he smiles and stands up, holding his hand out for me to shake it, "Dean Armstrong."
I shake it and smile and we walk over to where the tour is supposed to begin.
Afterwards, Dean asks if I wanted to get something to eat.
"Yes, I'm starved," I laugh and we find this diner right on campus.
"Where are you from?" He asks after we order.
"Jersey," I say.
"Really? I couldn't tell," he laughs and takes a sip of his coke.
"You can when I say water," he cringes at my pronunciation.
"There's no "u" in it?" He laughs.
"Yeah yeah," I laugh, "and where are you from, Dean Armstrong?"
"Massachusetts," he smirks.
"I could hear a little Bostonian in you," I giggle and he watches me as I sip my iced tea.
There is no lull in the conversation and we stay in those diner seats for three hours talking about the most random things. Before we know it, it's dark out and there are fireworks outside. Did I mention it's the Fourth of July? Well it is.
We walk next to each other and watch the fireworks go off above us.
"You're cute," he looks at me as we walk side by side down the pavement. I blush and look at my feet.
"Thank you," I laugh lightly.
I don't know if I should tell him about Ian now. It was a harmless comment, right?
"Wanna go back to my place?" He asks, "it's right around the corner."
"Sure, but I should tell you, Dean, I have a boyfriend," I say.
"Oh, ok. We can still hangout though right?"
"Yeah we can, just thought I should let you know first. I didn't want you getting the wrong idea," I admit.
Dean's place is nice. We ended up playing the game of life and monopoly. He takes me back to my hotel at three in the morning.
My flight leaves in four hours.
"So I guess I'll be seeing you in the fall," he leans against the wall just outside of my hotel room.
"I guess so," I smile and he winks playfully at me.
"Bye, Dean," I laugh and shut my door.
As if right on cue I get a text from Ian.

the tour hasn't even begun and i miss u sm babe

I miss you so much. Stanford's reallyyyy pretty though. You'll have to visit me.

no doubt baby. i loveu

Love you too🖤
When I get back to Jersey, Harper and Todd are at the house waiting for my arrival.
"You're home! How was it?" She comes up and hugs me.
"It was so beautiful, I'm super excited!" I smile, "it's very far though." I admit.
"Yeah, like across the country far," Harper whines.
"But Claire, Todd and I have something to tell you," she smiles excitedly and I furrow my eyebrows.
What could her AND Todd have in common? Besides me of course.
"We're engaged!" Todd exclaims and Harper holds up her left hand. Sure enough there is a small diamond resting on her ring finger. Must have been a crazy 48 hours.
"What?!" I say confused, "I didn't even know you two were dating."
"Well we wanted to keep it a secret because we didn't know what you would think about us. You know your brother and best friend. So we kept it a secret but we are so in love we didn't want to hide it anymore. And well last night we were on a date and Todd just got on one knee and well!" She shows me the ring and I smile.
I really do love love.
I tell them both congratulations and give them hugs. When I get up to my room I sit on my bed and sigh.
I really miss Ian and his tour hasn't started yet. I get to see him later this month but I feel like I'm just wasting my summer away waiting to see him.
I'm shocked how Harper and Todd's relationship just flew under my nose this whole time. I've been so wrapped up in my own drama I didn't even notice what was happening around me.
Last week was the trial for my rape. Dixon got off Scot free like he had said he would. Ross came in and testified but I wasn't allowed to say anything to him in case the jury questioned my intentions. It wouldn't have even mattered if I had talked to him. He's still out there acting like he's the king of the world.
I try to call Ian but it goes to voicemail. He must be practicing.
I decide to go for a walk into town. With Ian gone I really am aware of how lonely I am in this town.
"Hey stranger," a voice I have come so accustomed to hearing leads me to turn around.
"Ross," I smile and so does he. I have a flashback of the first football game of the school year. We stood by each other on the bleachers and pretended like we understood what was happening. He told Amber we were a "package deal".
"I just wanted to say I'm really sorry about the trial. I mean seriously what the fuck!" He shakes his head in dismay and we continue to walk throughout town.
"Yeah it does suck, if it's ok with you I don't really want to talk about it," I half heartedly smile.
"Oh yeah ok no worries," he says.
I think about how just last month I thought I was pregnant with his baby. Clearly, Ross and I have been through a lot together.
"Have you gone to California for orientation yet?" He inquires. He walks with his hands behind his back and looks at me when we talk. That's one of the things I love about Ross, he has such unique mannerisms.
"Just got back today," I laugh. 24 hours ago I was watching the fireworks with Dean and now I find myself walking with the boy I've always wanted to date.
"How was it?"
"Beautiful. I can't wait to go there. Very nerve wracking though," I look down at my feet but Ross doesn't stop looking at me. He smiles when I look down.
"Oh you'll do fine. That's the thing about you, Claire. You always work things out, you always- you're just perfect," he says. The butterflies sleeping in my stomach wake up and flutter around.