Chapter 24

Luke's POV

"Sorry. But cute things deserved to be looked at," Delilah says. Her cheeks blush and she quickly starts talking again. "I mean, it's cute how Lucy is, uh- how she fell asleep..." She turns her attention back to the movie.

I groan internally thinking back to a few nights ago. I'm still confused as to what Noah told me and what Delilah said to me.

Did she really mean Lucy was cute? Or did she mean me? I can't stop thinking about it. I'm not sure why it's bothering me so much.

I decide to go to the person who knows Delilah best. Ashton.

I walk to his house, and even though it's not too far, I'm extremely cold. I don't think I'll ever be used to the weather here.

I hesitantly knock on his door and shove my hands in my pockets. I can hear footsteps running towards the door, and Harry opens it.

"Ashton," Harry yells, "Luke's here!"

Harry runs away, leaving me standing in front of the open door. Ashton slowly walks towards me with a confused expression on his face.

It's been weeks since I last saw him. I've still been ignoring him. I'm not really sure why, I wish I hadn't.

"Hey, Luke?" He says it more like a question. "What are you doing here?"

He's leaning against the door frame and crosses his arms.

I quickly type in my phone. I'm not really sure what to write. "I'm sorry about the past few weeks. I was having a rough time. But I need to talk to you."

"What about? Here, come in," Ashton says, sounding concerned. I follow him up to his room. It feels like only a few days ago I was over here playing Fifa.

"So," Ashton says, "What do you wanna talk about?"

Ashton sits down on his bed, and I crouch into the small bean bag on the floor. Ashton rests his chin on his hand while he waits for me to stop typing on my phone.

"Does Delilah like me?" the voice says.

He scratches his chin and takes a deep breath. "Do you like her?"

I roll my eyes. I type a response quickly. "No." I feel my cheeks blush.

Ashton sighs and lightly laughs. "Have you read her project from a few weeks ago?"

I shake my head no. I shoved it into one of my drawers and havne't looked at it since.

"That'll probably explain everything you need to know," he says smiling. "I think I actually have it somewhere in my email. She sent it to me to proofread, to see if what she wrote about you was okay, I guess."

He opens up his laptop and types quickly on his keyboard.

"Got it!" he says, passing the laptop over to me.

I push it away, too afraid to read it. I don't know if I want to know what she wrote.

"If you don't read it, I'll read it to you," Ashton says laughing.

I roll my eyes and take the laptop, not wanting Ashton to read it. I guess I have to read it at some point, anyways.

I read the first sentence, and my hands start shaking. I'm so nervous. I shouldn't be this nervous to see what she has to say about me.

I recently met a boy named Luke. I don't know much about him other than the fact that he's Australian, and he loves skittles.

I also know that he doesn't talk.

Luke has gone through a tough time in his life, full of mourning and sadness. His way of dealing with it is not speaking, or that's what I think. He's a giant mystery to everyone.

When I first met him, he threw his coffee when he saw me. I'm still not sure why, but he did. He was rude, and he always rolled his eyes. He rarely looked at me, and when he did, he glared at me.

Most girls would leave, but I stayed.

I stayed through his anxiety, his anger, his sadness, and now, I'm staying while he's ignoring me.

I forgot that she had been writing this while I was ignoring her. She's probably written about how much she hates me. I continue reading, afraid of what I'll see.

After doing this project, Luke expressed the fact that he didn't want to be around me. He told me to pretend I never met him. I'm rereading the note he wrote me as I write this.

I can't forget Luke. Forgetting Luke would be impossible. I won't forget how his blue eyes get brighter when he's happy (which isn't often, but they're like the color of a clear sky), or the way his jacket smells of cologne and smoke. I won't forget the time he opened up to me about his loss, which I'm choosing not to write about here. I especially will always remember the last day we spent together on the beach, throwing skittles at each other.

Luke isn't like any boys that I've met, or any person I've ever known. He's unique and mysterious and is constantly confusing me. But that's what makes him so special.

I genuinely do believe that Luke is a fantastic person. When he wants to be, he is kind and gentle. I'm glad I've seen that side of him, even if only for a little bit. He has made a huge impact on me the past few weeks.

Throughout the rest of her project, she explains the things she learned about me. She writes about the simple things like my birthday, and the more complex things that she's noticed, like the way I rock on my heels or the way I rub my nose. She's noticed things I didn't even know about myself.

But the last sentence is what changes everything.

As strange as this may seem, I think I'm falling for him.

I look up at Ashton, who is smiling widely. I shake my head quickly and scrunch my eyebrows in confusion.

This can't be real. She can't really like me, can she?

"Does that give you your answer?" he asks, still smiling.

I nod slowly, and then, out of nowhere, I start crying. It starts slowly at first, but quickly speeds up.

Ashton jumps off his bed and sits beside me on the floor. I hate how I'm always crying now, I can't seem to stop.

"Do you wanna go see her?" Ashton asks quietly.

I shake my head no.

"What's wrong then?" he asks worriedly.

I point to myself over and over, but Ashton just looks at me with a confused expression.

I reach for my phone and quickly type, even though my vision is blurred from all these tears. I pass him the phone, and he reads what I wrote.

"Luke, it's okay to feel that way," Ashton tells me after a long pause.

I shake my head no.

He awkwardly puts his arm around me. "I understand. But I promise, it's okay. It's okay to feel that way," he says again.

What Ashton says makes me cry even more. I hate that I'm sitting here on an old bean bag chair, with Ashton's arm around me, and tears streaming down my face.

I hate that I'm feeling this way.

I don't like it. I don't like any of this.

I wish I could just remember to forget.

WHAT DO YOU THINK LUKE WROTE

WAS THIS EVEN A GOOD CHAPTER IDEK

also, tweet me random questions on twitter bc i think i'm gonna do an ask ashley on youtube (my channel is callmeashley98) so just use the hashtag #asksingsongash (my twitter is singsongash lol)

ilysm

-ashley