Chapter 2

Luke's POV

“Luke,” Calum says shyly, looking down at his feet. “I know it's been rough for you. And I wish I could help. Just promise you'll try to make it work, alright? I miss the old Luke. When you come back, hopefully it'll be soon, and hopefully my real best friend will be back. I'll be waiting.” He embraces me into an awkward hug, and I keep my arms down at my side before slowly wrapping them around him. I hear him sigh as he lets go, and he tries to smile.

I can tell he's upset about me leaving, probably because he's worried. He shouldn't be worried about me. I'm useless to worry about. I'm just a lost soul. I don't think the real Luke will ever be back.

My mom stands beside Calum, trying not to cry. Her bottom lip is quivering as she watches us.

“I'll miss you so much,” my mom tells me for the hundredth time as she hugs me tightly. She pulls away and keeps her hand on my shoulders. “It'll be fine, I promise. I wouldn't be sending you if I didn't think it'd help. Your dad will be at the airport once you get there. Make sure you text me when you land so I know you're safe. Oh, and don't forget to take your pills, I've already told your dad to remind you. And make sure you eat on the plane, it's a long flight!” She rambles on and on about important things to do and remember, but I'm not listening.

I don't get why everyone is so worried and upset about me leaving. It's not like I ever did anything great. I don't get why they would want me to stay. They should be happy that I'm leaving, they're finally able to get rid of me. I'm no longer their problem. All I am is a nuisance. I never do anything right, all I do is cause myself and others stress.

I glance over my mom's shoulder and see the people boarding the flight. I point to them, and my mom turns around to see what I'm referring to. “Your flight is boarding!” she says frantically. “Here's your bag. Do you have your phone? I feel like you're forgetting something!”

I raise my eyebrows and tap my foot impatiently.

“Right, right. It's time to leave or you'll miss the flight. Okay. I can't believe you're leaving! I love you.” She hugs me once more, and for a second I think she'll never let go. But she does, and I start to board the flight.

“Bye, Luke! Bring me a souvenir!” I hear Calum call. I can tell he's trying to lighten the mood, but he's not.

I walk towards the flight attendant, and I know my mom has already started crying. I turn around and I was right, there are tears on her cheeks. I give her a thumbs up and a small wave. She smiles and waves back. Calum puts his arm around her shoulders and tries to console her. I guess he can be alright sometimes.

“Ticket, please?” the flight attendant says.

I show her my ticket, and she looks at it quickly. “Luke Hemmings?” she reads.

I nod.

“Alright. Seat 107. Enjoy your flight.”

*

After a flight that felt like it lasted 50 hours, I finally landed. I slept most of the way because I had nothing else to do. I could've watched a movie, but none of them interested me. Nothing really ever interests me.

I search for my dad in the airport, but I can't see him yet. I look over the sea of people, scanning to find him.

“Luke?” I hear someone yell from behind me.

I turn around slowly and look around. My eyes land on my dad who is standing a few feet away from me.

He's less tan than I remember, and he has less hair. He's wearing a black fleece jacket and jeans. I remember him always wearing t-shirts and shorts.